Resetting M35 / M45 Tire Pressure Monitor after Rotation

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
supersal04
Car: M35 Sport

Does anyone have any insight on how to reset the tire pressure monitors after you get your tires rotated? I can't find anything in the owner's manual (unless I overlooked something).

I had a flat a few months back which was repaired and after about 15 miles, the monitor reset itself. I've driven about 30-40 miles since getting the tires rotated and it hasn't reset itself, still coming up with *.* in the display.

I read in a previous topic thread started 7/27/2005 (TIRE PRESSURE RESET INSTRUCTIONS) that said

"The tire pressure sensing system only needs to be reset on your car if you permanently alter which four of the five wheels are on the ground. This obviously means that the spare is put into service. Examples:

1. Rotate tires 4 existing tires on the ground leaving spare in trunk. No reset required."

Sounds great but no data on the monitor.

Any Help?????

TXSJaybird

Keep driving, it takes a while.

sptrout
Car: M35 Sport & G35 Couple

A couple weeks ago I had to replace a tire on my M35 Sport (nail in the sidewall), and the pressure monitoring system did not reset. (I should also mention that I had the tires rotated also.) I had to return it to the dealer and they were able to reset the system in about 10 minutes.

mazz
Car: 2013 M37x Advance, Tech Touring and Premium, Black with Stone Interior

i had my tires rotated at dealer in December same issue 500 miles later thedealer had to reset something .Does not seem to be anything the consumer can reset

SilverShadow

Just had the tires rotated same problem, just ** in the display; have driven about 35 miles. Spoke to the service manager today and he said they should have "reset" themselves by now and I need to come back in.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

There is a special tool that the dealer has, that can also do the reset. Bit too expensive for us normal mortals to carry/have lying around!

Z

Pashdut
Car: 06' M35

supersal04 wrote:Does anyone have any insight on how to reset the tire pressure monitors after you get your tires rotated? I can't find anything in the owner's manual (unless I overlooked something).

I had a flat a few months back which was repaired and after about 15 miles, the monitor reset itself. I've driven about 30-40 miles since getting the tires rotated and it hasn't reset itself, still coming up with *.* in the display.

I read in a previous topic thread started 7/27/2005 (TIRE PRESSURE RESET INSTRUCTIONS) that said

"The tire pressure sensing system only needs to be reset on your car if you permanently alter which four of the five wheels are on the ground. This obviously means that the spare is put into service. Examples:

1. Rotate tires 4 existing tires on the ground leaving spare in trunk. No reset required."

Sounds great but no data on the monitor.

Any Help?????
Yeh, I had the same problem.......took it to the dealer and the reset it for me in 10 min as well.

SilverShadow

Drove again yesterday and the TPMS is now working, to my disappointment the dealer changed the pressure of the tires to 40 PSI (Front) and 38 PSI (Rear). The lable on the the door jamb shows front and rear should be 33 PSI.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

SilverShadow wrote:Drove again yesterday and the TPMS is now working, to my disappointment the dealer changed the pressure of the tires to 40 PSI (Front) and 38 PSI (Rear). The lable on the the door jamb shows front and rear should be 33 PSI.
Actually, the higher pressure may be better overall for a few reasons, although, 40psi is a bit higher than I would run (but some folks here do that too). Yes, the ride is a slight bit harsher, but you get better control and better weight carrying ability and better wear.

The M is a heavy car, and the load index of the stock tires is rated at 94 (as I recall). This load index is measured at 36psi (by tire manufacturer standards). This is a bit of a borderline value to begin with for heavy cars, and when using 33 psi, the load index is derated to a lower value. Many of the Q45 and M owners owners here typically run between 34psi and 40psi (with some above that too).

In my 2003 M45, the side label also says 33psi. But, I have found from experience that 36psi to 38psi gives me more uniform wear across the tread. The car is more responsive on curves too.

Finally, tire pressures do drop gently over time. If you measure often, and set often, yes, you could get away with a lower pressure. But I find, for example, that setting my tires at 36psi, usually means that they have dropped to about 34psi in a couple of weeks. Gives me a little margin to work with also, to never get below the recommended 33psi. FWIW, I am thinking of increasing to about 38psi, by the way.

Finally, and this is a very important sidebar, tire pressure should always be set COLD. Ideally without any cause of heating at all. Meaning, set it in the garage in the morning, without driving out, and without letting the sun heat the tires up a bit either. In low aspect ratio tires, the amount of air, or temp change, needed to change the pressure by even 1psi is remarkably low!

Hope this helps,

Z

jshattner

I've read threads where about up to 60 miles were required. So keep us posted. I had my winter tires removed last week and the dealer said he was "unable" to set one of the monitors and ordered a new valve. Then, after about 15 miles, it synched and is now working ok.

Does anyone know if the wheel locations will "find" themselves properly after rotation, or does the dealer need to resync each wheel with is proper sensor so that the dash readout really gives you the proper location? I've heard dealers are charging as much as $10 per wheel to sync so it would be nice to know it's not necessary.

carbuff
Car: 2006 M45

The info tire monitor display showed rear right tire pressure was 33 psi while th eother three tires were 38psi. I checked all four with a handheld pencil type gauge and found that the car display was exactly the same as the handheld gauge.

After adding air to the right rear tire, the info display failed to show any reading other than an * for each tire.

I drove two miles at 45mph, the monitor reset and displayed all four tires at 38psi.

My assumption is that a minimum number of miles must be driven at a specific speed before the monitor will reset. I asked my dealer and got a half-hearted yes to my assumption.

If anyone does find an authoritative response, I would appreciate it being posted.

supersal04
Car: M35 Sport

Well, I got my answer. I've driven about 250 miles since I got the tires rotated and wrote the original post here. I was driving yesterday afternoon and the sensors have reset themselves. Don't know exactly when it happened but somewhere between 200 and 250 miles.

So it looks like you don't have to go to the dealer to get them reset.

Happy Driving.............

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”