Resetting ECU

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Just for those of you who haven't heard yet. There is a rather easy way to reset the ECU.

Step 1. Turn ignition to on & wait 3 seconds (Do not start the car, just turn to the on position, gauge lights should come on)

Step 2. Floor and releas gas pedal 5 times in 5 seconds (push it down and release 5 full times in 5 seconds)

Step 3. Wait 7 seconds and then floor the gas pedal for 10 seconds and release gas pedal (the check engine light should blink)

Step 4. Floor and hold gas pedal for 10 seconds. The timing is very important to do the process. It may take a couple tries to get it.

Cold_Zero
Car: 2003 (3.5) Altima SE & 2005 Pathfinder

Couldnt you just unplug the battery for 15min and then hook it back up?

rydwhite

Yeah, but then you would have to reset all your radio stations and crap like that. This is just as easy and you don't have to reset anything.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Two questions:

1. Does this also work on the M45 and Q45 by any chance?

2. Do you know of a simple way to reset the TCU on any of these Infiniti models? The transmissions are the same (or similar), so it might be the same approach.

Z

rydwhite

I'm not sure if it works on other Infiniti models. I know it also works on the 350Z.

szh

Hmmm ... looks like I will have to do some reading in the M45 service manual! :D

Thanks!

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Z- Does the M45 come with a FSM just like the old school Qs came with, or did you buy seperately....

(i cant go for very long without hijacking a thread!!!) :D

szh

elwesso wrote:Z- Does the M45 come with a FSM just like the old school Qs came with, or did you buy seperately....
Nope, not included in printed form! I downloaded it separately from the Nissan Infiniti tech doc web site. Cost me the $19.95 for the day long access! :)Quote » (i cant go for very long without hijacking a thread!!!) :D [/quote]

No problem! I occasionally do the same. :D

Z

booger
Car: modding the G

Cold_Zero wrote:Couldnt you just unplug the battery for 15min and then hook it back up?
If you disconnect the battery for 12 hours...that resets the ECU . Thats what I have been told and its on Technosquare's web site also . They have several resets on there web page

rydwhite

Here is a link to the Technosquare site that explains the resets for the G35/350z. There is the ECU, throttle and idle resets here as well.http://www.technosquareinc.com/350reset.htm

Thanks to Ted for providing the link in another post here.

dholly

Here is a more detailed explanation of the "Quick ECU Reset Procedures". It is very important to note the Preparation necessary for a successful Idle Air Volume Learning quick reset. I have tried to highlight all info not contained on the TS site. Hope this helps!Quote »Basic ECU Reset

Operations Procedures:

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch “ON” (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)5. Wait about 10 seconds.6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).8. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU. You may even need someone's help to do this correctly.------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The following reset procedures are directly from the 2004 G35 Sedan Service Manual.

Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning

Description:Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Description:Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

Operation Procedure:1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.2. Turn ignition switch ON.3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning

Description:Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced, or if idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.

Preparation:Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied. Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.

- Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)- Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100 Degrees C (158 – 212 Degrees F)- PNP switch: ON (Park/Neutral Position Safety Switch - AT only, MT fully depress clutch)- Electric load switch: OFF (Air conditioner, rear window defogger, headlamps. Note: on vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamps will not be illuminated.)- Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)- Vehicle speed: Stopped- Transmission: Warmed-up (For A/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.)

Operation Procedure:1. Perform "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" 2. Perform "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" 3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds:7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.10. Start engine and let it idle.11. Wait 20 seconds.12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications:

Idle speed A/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in P or N position)Idle speed M/T: 650rpm, + or - 50 rpm (in N position)Ignition timing A/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or – 5 Degrees BTDC (in P or N position)Ignition timing M/T: 15 Degrees BTDC, + or – 5 Degrees BTDC (in N position)

13. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully. If idle speed and ignition timing are within the specification and Idle Air Volume Learning cannot be performed successfully, find the cause of the incident by referring to the following Diagnostic Procedure:

1. Check that throttle valve is fully closed.2. Check PCV valve operation.3. Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air leakage.4. When the above three items check out OK, engine component parts and their installation condition are questionable. 5. If any of the following conditions occur after the engine has started, eliminate the cause of the incident and perform Idle Air Volume Learning all over again:

- Engine stalls.- Erroneous idle.[/quote]

rydwhite

Thanks for the info DHolly, it is much appreciated by all here in the forum.

dholly

No prob, I just saw a red flag there and thought maybe I could save some frustration. I tried repeatedly to do the Idle Air Volume Learning reset to no avail. Then I actually cracked the manual (duh!). I was trying with a cold engine, Econ a/c and rear window defrost ON, and clutch out. Followed the instructions to the letter and, WOWzer, what a difference it made.

rydwhite

Good to hear that it made a differnce. I know that disconecting the battery and letting it sit disconnected for hours resets the ECU, but does it also reset accelerator, idle and throttle? I am assuming that it won't work for the idle, since the car needs to be heated to some degree.

dholly

Good point, makes sense but I don't recall seeing the answer in the manual. Never did like the battery disconnect, why reprogram radio, NAV if you don't have to?

rydwhite

Yeah that's what I always thought.

dholly

Trivia (or Drivel, take your pick) - Eagle eyes will note the use of both "CEL" and "MIL" in the Guide above. Nissan uses CEL (Check Engine Light) in the 350z manual, but MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) in the G35 manual. No worries, it's all the same. Go figure!

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”