Replacing Versa hatchback trunk latch

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
smithsc6
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

Hi,

It looks like the button on the trunk latch of my Versa is no longer working. The rest of the doors unlock but I can't open the trunk as usual by reaching under the handle and pressing the button--no matter how much pulling and tugging I have tried. I took it to a mechanic and he said the electronic latch is probably broken, so a new part would need to be ordered and installed. He pulled the panel off the inside so I can open the trunk manually from inside. I have let it lapse for a few months.

My search of the forum (and Internet search) didn't turn up much on this issue, so has anyone here replaced a trunk latch themselves? If so, how difficult was it and was it worth it to do it yourself? I am pretty much a beginner with car repairs--all I've done myself besides wiper blades is replace the cabin air filter a couple of times and replace a headlight bulb when it burned out.

Thanks,

Stephanie

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Hi Stephanie!

Shouldn't be too terribly difficult. First, let's look at the Factory Service Manual for your car:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... nuals.html

Section BL, pages 175 and on, discuss the componentry. However, without knowing what part has failed, you might be replacing parts for no reason.

Do your other door locks work (either with the key fob or by pressing the button on the driver door)? Do you hear any sound at all when you press the button on the hatch?

Page 190-191 of that section describe the actual removal of the lock and switch, but again, I'd want to diagnose it first. If you hear a sound, but it doesn't unlock, that would indicate maybe a piece of debris in the latch mechanism or a sticky latch.

Let's figure this one out! :)

smithsc6
Car: 2009 Nissan Versa SL

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

All of my other door locks work, both with the key fob and by pressing the button by the driver door. I don't hear any sound from the hatch when I unlock using the key fob, nor when I press the button under the handle to open it. The hatchback does open all right from the inside of the car (using the manual latch behind the panel on the inside of the trunk door) which makes me think it's not something jammed in there or stuck.

Stephanie

captainj4
Car: '08 Nissan Versa

hi
i am currently having the same problem
a mechanic grounded out the rear switch and it worked for a bit then quit
then i saw a you tube video on the same problem and he changed the door remote assy on the passenger side and it fixed the rear switch
i changed the assy and it didn't work !
$ 300 later it's still not fixed !!!!
i will let the forum know when i find the problem

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”