Replacing the shocks dust covers and wheel alignment

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
elan
Car: BMW 328I, Had J30 95,

Hi everyone again,

Some time after doing the wheel alignment I found out that the dust covers on all 4 shocks have to be replaced as they are torn off quite bad. It's bad I did the alignment already. Can I replace the covers w/o spoiling the alignment ?

Thanks in advance.

elan

Hi guys,

I did this work yesterday. The dust covers were all torn. I got new from Nissan and all I did was:

Lifted the front. Unscrewed the nut on the shock. The rod went down so I could take the old cover-bumper off and pull it out through the spring.Put the new one and pushed the rod up back to the hole. Put the nut back and screwed it back on.The most difficult part was positioning the rod and forsing it back up into the whole. At least I made sure that the shock is working. If it were easy it would not be a good sign

The position of the rod has not changed so has not of any nut involved in the allignment. So I suppose the alignment has not changed either. At least I did not feel any changes in stearing.

I hope someone can benefit from my experience.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

what bolt are you talking about on the strut ??Mine are dry rotted as well .Cant afford the struts but I wouls like to replace the rubber stuff in there .Cover , bumper etc .

elan

Yoda,

I believe it's called piston rod lock nut. When you open the hood and look at the top of the strut tower you will see a rubber cap in the center. Take it out and you will see the rod tip inside and the nut locking it. That's the one that does not let the rod to fall down.

Replacing it is good idea as if the shock is not covered it will wear sooner I believe as the dust and dirt can get inside easy. I paid $100 for all 4 dust covers - front and rear. I think the cover and the bumper is one thing. Though they are pictured separately in the manual.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Kewl .. Thanks ..

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”