Replacing Rear Window Regulator

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
humuju
Car: 2009 Infiniti G37 S

I watched some videos on how to replace the window regulator on a Nissan Maxima 2008. Actually, I have a 2009 Infiniti G37S but all the Infiniti videos show different doors (with a removable panel). My door is similar to a Maxima 2008 but without the convenient access on the side where the hinges are. See images below. In any case, that is why I am posting here.

In those videos they assume that the cable is broken. However, in my case the motor is broken and the window is in closed position. So how do I get the window to come down? Unhook the motor from the frame and then pull the whole thing down? I want to make sure I get this right because putting the motor back in place will be a pain and having the window down in this weather is not going to be good.
backdoor.jpg

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It won't be easy no matter how you do it. There should just be two 6mm (10mm head) screws holding the pane to the regulator, but with the pane up, the only way to get at both of them is generally to pop the inside rub-strip loose (the part with the stamping that says >PP+EPDM<) and get a thin 10mm box wrench into the gap between the pane and inside panel. It generally will help to remove the regulator and motor screws so you can work the window out of the tracks and then elevate the whole assembly. Depending how the regulator is constructed, you may get lucky, sometimes you can get the whole glom to drop far enough to access the pane screws.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”