Replacing leather seat covers?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
1993TanJ30
Car: 1993 J30

My interior is pretty much MINT, except for the driver's side seat. There's isn't any EXTREME cracking/fading/etc. However, compared to the rest of the car - it's definately not up to par.

Whats the easiest way to take care of this? I looked into getting an entire seat, thought that was the easiest option. However, is it possible to only replace the cover? I wans't sure how you would perform this? Does it have to be re-stiched and everything?

Thanks, any info would be great.

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Take the seat out and find an upholestry shop to "re-skin" it professionally. Cheaper than a new seat.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hmmm, before doing that much effort, I would try Leatherique and see if it works as well as they claim.

Check out http://www.leatherique.com (I think that is the web site.)

Z

1993TanJ30

I checked out the site - I don't know.. Seems like bunch of hype honestly - I think the only option is to replace the skins...

Driverdriver: I contacted that Infiniti dealership that you guided me to, they have no more floor mats

Any other ideas where I can get them!?!?!

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

1993TanJ30 wrote:IDriverdriver: I contacted that Infiniti dealership that you guided me to, they have no more floor mats
They appear from time to time on Ebay.

szh

1993TanJ30 wrote:I checked out the site - I don't know.. Seems like bunch of hype honestly
Could be ... I don't know about them yet. I recently received their leather treatment stuff (not the repair kits) and am going to give that a try.

Z

szh

Check this thread out too: zerothread?id=126414.

Z

rwhyde
Car: '93 Infiniti J30

I have used leathertique and it is great for softening up hard leather. They also sell dye that can be sprayed on to re-color slight cracking or scuffing where the color is worn through the leather. You send them a smipped of pice of your cover from under the seat and they will match it. you can use a "Prevale" arosol sprayer to effectively pain on the color. you can also go to a professional paint store and they can mix you up some just as well to match since that is where you go to get these littel arosol spray units or use an airbrush if you have one. I've used all of these techniques on MB's, Porsches and BMW's through the years. I recently went up to the local shoe repair store and bought a small can of spray leather dye from them and used it on my knid of light natural colored seats in my '93 J30. It was close but not a perfect match, just slightly lighter. I was able to kind of fog and blend it in so it covered the dark places and generally improved the looks a lot for my $7.00. If the covers are split or torn or worn completely through then at least the bad panel will need to be replaced by an automitve upholstery shop. Sometimes called a trim shop. I have an Uncle who does this kind of work here in Texas and have helped him do several of my project cars. I can give you details if you want. In any case, be prepared for the cost of the leather itself is not cheap. I would expect it to cost $150 or so to just recover the bottom of your driver's seat including labor. The approach we use on MB's is to get exactly matching leather and just replace specif panels. The new colored leather isn't a perfect match but beat the heck out of a hole or cracked up leather. As any cars age, the soft parts such as this become expensive items to replace so take good care of them to begin with and you will save in the long run. I hate vinyl but people often use that as a replacement due to cost. It can provide a great match but is not very comfortable. If you will notice, the seat prtions of the J30 are the only leather components and the sides are vinyl.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

szhosain wrote:Check this thread out too: zerothread?id=126414.

Z
Those pictures are almost unbelieveable, but if it works then it sure is worth it.

szh

DominickJ30 wrote:Those pictures are almost unbelieveable, but if it works then it sure is worth it.
Yes, I agree - I would recommend a healthy skepticism about it! That post is about another product that he claims is a professional thing, but he also says that Leatherique can do similar good stuff.

I do not know how good Leatherique is. But, and this is the point, it looks like a pro can do a great job (whatever the product happens to be.)

So ... pay them to get it done!

Z

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I have some minor cracking on my drivers seat, sitting down on the leather when it gets really cold does its number on it.

Anyway, I may try the restore kit to fill in some cracks. Leather is still soft...

I remember reading a 3rd party review on a guy using this stuff on a really old M5 or something and after about a year of daily driving it was starting to show some wear. however for the price its hard to beat.

Another one of those "to-do's"!

1993TanJ30

So your going to pickup the Leatherique kit Wes?

If so, let me know how it turns out, and make sure to snap some BEFORE and AFTER photos!

I agree with you Dominick - those pictures posted before were almost unbelievable! If the product worked THAT good - wouldn't everyone be using it?

Anyone else with experience using this product, feel free to chime in!

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Ill probably pick it up sometime in the winter when i can have time to tend to it.. ill take my drivers seat out and put my backup seat in.....

1993TanJ30

Sounds good - let me know!

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”