Replacing gas gauge sender in Xterra

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
helen

I understand that gas gauge sender failure is commonly attributed to worn-out sender wiper.

I also understand that such plastic part is common to many gas gauge float assembly and NOT specifically to Nissan.

(P.S. I often wonder how an electrical part which makes INTERMITTENT connection floating in gas vapor does not fire up? Anybody cares?)

If that is true, I do not see to pay around $100 for "genuine Nissan part" which fails with less than 90,000 miles on the vehicle anyway.

The "problem is - how do I purchase after market gas sender / float for MUCH less manufactured for DIFFERENT vehicle?

Which one - Ford, Chevy etc ???

I am sure today's minimum wage "parts men" won't be of much help, so that is why I am asking here.

Cheers
Last edited by Rogue One on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

Desert Rat
Car: 2014 370Z M6 Base Coupe
2017 Frontier 4.0
2007 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Quad Cab 4x4
1977 F150 4x4 Shorty BUILT
2008 Boulevard C90T
Previous owner of a bunch of Nissans

Have you tried places like Rock Auto?

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Welcome to NICO!

So far we know that you own a Nissan Xterra, but you failed to mention what year yours is. Also you seemed surprised that a plastic part failed after only 90,000 miles, but I'm sure you must realize that car parts don't last forever. Not knowing the age of your vehicle, we could hazard a guess that you drive an average of say 15,000 miles per year, making your vehicle 6 years old, which is the typical lifespan of a modern vehicle.

One final bit of advice I can offer after reading your first two posts. As the saying goes, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”