Replacing 6 cd-In dash stock radio for 01 QX4 with a Pioneer

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
jb_7788
Car: 2001 INFINITI QX4

Hello,I am looking into replacing the 6-cd In dash stock radio (no navigation -I think it is Bose) with a Pioneer radio (cd,mp3,blue-tooth capable). I want to upgrade a little to something that is more current (I-pod compatable,blue-tooth, etc.). I hear that some places may not install the radio based on "This dash will not accept after-market radios". Is this true?How can I go about replacing this radio?

Please Help!

Thanks!
Modified by jb_7788 at 10:34 AM 6/4/2007

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

If a stereo place tells you that they cannot install it then LEAVE because they are obviously amateurs. It's not easy to install a deck into a Bose Pathfinder - you have 2 choices - Buy a special wiring harness (like Scosche) which adapts the Pioneer to run off the Bose amps - this one supposedly loses sound quality but i have not tried this so I can not attest to this. Install the Pioneer and bypass the Bose amps - also not good becuase Bose was meant to work with Bose and the speakers will sounds funny. My sincere advice to you is either go all the way or don't go at all - meaning that if you replace the head unit with a Pioneer, I suggest you bypass the Bose amp and REPLACE the bose speakers with aftermarket. There is a term - "keep bose with bose". Using Bose speakers with a Pioneer deck will most likely sound bad or funny. I ripped out the entire Bose system and replaced everything - it was not cheap but sounds MUCH better. Ahhh dont you love the bose?

fueler

The dash WILL accept the stereo with a single DIN mounting kit. I know cause I have a Pioneer 6900UB in my QX4. It has bluetooth cpability (with purchase of a seperate component), USB connection (4gb thumb drive off ebay $40 = 1200+ songs) and much more

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

Nice! I'm thinking about putting something like that in mine. What are you doin this weekend, fueler? I want to check out your QX

fueler

Well I was thinkin of exploring east county to look for some off-road spots! Possibly Saturday or Sunday morning....

I've been searching the map and i see things like "Otay Valley truck trail" , Los Pinos, Buckman Springs, NF-17S04, Bear Valley Rd, Pine Valley Rd, Carveacre, ETC. got these pics off yotatech.com

SnowSurfLax
Car: 1999.5 QX4, 2006 M35 Sport

I might be able to go with you, I've been dying to take mine offroad. What kind of time frame are you lookin at for the trip?

fueler

Not sure bro, im thinking morning since my weekends are my only time off and i want to make good use of it. I cant believe this site doesnt have a private message function. I can message you on gmail.... my gmail is "econoappliance"

2Infiniti-N-Beyond
Car: 2002 QX4

I replaced the stock Bose (Clarion) 6 disc in my wife's 02 QX4 with a double-din touchscreen Pioneer AVIC-D3 navi/DVD unit. I used the adapters with the Bose amps and stock speakers. The sound is definitely much better than stock. Also, the iPod interface is awesome. You can control your iPod with the Pioneer's touchscreen.

The only reason why they say you can only replace with single-din aftermarket head units is because they only make kits for those. I had mine custom installed and they modified a single-din kit to fit the Pioneer.

If you want it, it can be done...you just have to pay more. I can post pics if interested.
Modified by 2Infiniti-N-Beyond at 8:20 AM 6/10/2007

yakabod
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

2Infiniti-N-Beyond wrote:I replaced the stock Bose (Clarion) 6 disc in my wife's 02 QX4 with a double-din touchscreen Pioneer AVIC-D3 navi/DVD unit. I used the adapters with the Bose amps and stock speakers. The sound is definitely much better than stock. Also, the iPod interface is awesome. You can control your iPod with the Pioneer's touchscreen.

The only reason why they say you can only replace with single-din aftermarket head units is because they only make kits for those. I had mine custom installed and they modified a single-din kit to fit the Pioneer.

If you want it, it can be done...you just have to pay more. I can post pics if interested.

Modified by 2Infiniti-N-Beyond at 8:20 AM 6/10/2007
Lets see some pics!! :D

2Infiniti-N-Beyond

yakabod wrote:
Lets see some pics!! :D
Here you go.

navi

navi closeup

iPod interface

iPod interface closeup

fueler

thats a bad *** deck! my buddy has the same one in his 2007 Chevy pickup, he was able to integrate it with his OEM radio buttons on steering wheel and a backup camera too. Pretty slick.

jb_7788
Car: 2001 INFINITI QX4

I replaced the Clarion head unit with the Pioneer 6900UB. Got the intergrator adapter through Crutchfield (got it in three business days). The radio is pretty sharp and sounds pretty good with the stock speakers.

Thanks for the help!

Trooperguy90
Car: 03' Pathfinder LE 4x4, 91 Infiniti G20

Very nice... I just rented an 07' Chrysler Aspen with Nav... ya, i got used to that. I think i might have to get that pioneer unit. How much was it and how much did it cost to have it installed?

2Infiniti-N-Beyond

You can get it for $1k at any authorized dealer, $700 or so if you get it on eBay (but it won't be warrantied). Install was a killer. I think I paid like $1500-1600 total for it installed. The shop had to customize the kit (cut, sand, paint) and even after it was mounted there were gaps so they had to fill in the gaps with whatever material they use (some kind of 3M product I was told). I had it done at an auto customization shop which does a lot of high end fabrication (Bam Margera's Hummer, Lambo and more). I'm not sure if your local Circuit City/Best Buy will be able to do something like this. You'll get the answer that they only have kits for single DIN units.

Anyway, I'm still glad I did it. It's better than the single DIN pop out screens. There are better units out there, Eclipse, some Kenwoods, etc. but this one has all the features at a good price.

drob07
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4 with Navigation and Alpine cda-9883 head unit. Grille Guard + Tail light guards

Hey. First I want to say that the pioneer double din is a sick add on for any car especially the QX4. Secondly, I am also looking at getting an aftermarket head unit so I can have better ipod capability. I have heard a lot about the Bose amps and working around those. I am not sure if it is worth getting just a new head unit and not adding my own amp and speakers. I wanted to know if anyone had any experience with an after market head unit and the stock amp and speakers. FYI my qx4 has navi therefore is only a single din unit.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”