replacement snow tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
njr

I have a new Rogue and am happy with it, but I wondered IF I wanted to replace the all season tires with snow tires next year, would I have to get them from Nissan? I am not clear on how the tire pressure sensors work and whether I could get the rims / tires put on at a local mechanic or whether they need some computer calibration. Clarification would help! Thanks!

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

I got steel wheels and winter tires, and the TPMS doesn't work with the steel wheels (this is what they told me at Nissan), so it wouldn't matter for putting on your winter tires. Not sure about putting the all seasons back on though?

flybooey

The tire pressure sensors are mounted to the rim itself which is why the opposite side of the rim has a tonne of wheel weights on it. You can just get steel wheels and winter tires and throw them on without a problem, the TPS light will just light up on the dash. Come spring put the OEM tires/wheels on and the connection will be made. One of the online tires places have 16" steel wheel/tire combos that are around 400 bucks, they also have the TPS sensor options which can be added at 120 each. There are not a lot of options for the 17" wheels as far as snow tires and whatever i found was pricey. There does happen to be a few 16" winters available which are a few bucks less

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

I bought 16" alloy wheels and the correct size 16" tires (studless Yokohama's), and did not put the sensors for the TPMS on. It would have cost an extra $90 per wheel to get the sensor/valve stems. I did not want the tire people messing with the factory system, as a friend had her Toyota TPMS messed up.

They worked great and I just put the factory tires and wheels back on. Within a few miles of driving, the TPMS alarm cleared and everything was back to normal.

If you are interested, I can send you the 16" tire size that will keep your spedometer accurate. 16" ice/snow studless tires and wheels were a LOT cheaper than 17".

flybooey

I would be interested as well. I found it hard to locate agressive tires in 16" . I'm running Nokian Hakka2's on my Jetta and they are stunning.What model of yokohama are you running? I assume you are running the OEM 16" size 215/70/16 ??

tksDaveBTW what other brands did you find in 16" OEM size or close to OEM size???

Superdave54
Car: 2008 Rogue

Yokohama Geolander I/T+, 215/70R-16. It got very icy a few times here and they performed well. Never got into any new snow over about 4 inches deep. I credit the Rogue's traction control system for a lot of it.

The wheels were 16x7 5-100/114 40SM wheels.

I checked my speed against several radar speed "reader boards" and the miles per hour was right on.

philipa_240sx

I've run both Hakka 1's and Hakka RSI's on other cars. The Rogue came with Conti 4x4Contact's and quite frankly they pale in comparison to the Hakka's.

I am already planning for my 3rd set of Nokian's. Either the Hakka SUV (Hakka 4 tread pattern) or the Hakka Sport Utility 5. I will be using the same P215/70R16 size on the base model Rogue. I just need to find a set of used 16x6.5' steelies... the same size used on the base model Rogue and '02-08 Nissan Altima.

flybooey

I've been having a hard time finding "good" tires in these odd nissan size.

Tire rack i think (or discount tire direct) has steelies for 41 bucks

njr

Thanks to all who posted on this. I don't understand why there wouldn't be 17 inch wheels available - or actually why Nissan would use a non-standard size, but I will look into the 16's if necessary.

One further question: Is there no problem with mounting a smaller tire, other than the light on the dash for the missing TPS and a slight change to the speedometer? I thought that it would mess up the ABS as well....

Cristen
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD - Venetian Red

I've got 17s with steel wheels.

philipa_240sx

You can change both tire a wheel size as long as the outer diameter of the tire is the same (or close) to stock. From what I've read and used on my personal vehicles, you must stay within 3% of the stock tire diameter to avoid adversly affecting the speedo, ABS, and VDC systems. I had the same tire sizing on my Altima that forced me to use slightly smaller aftermarket tires to get a better selection and price.

The stock Rogue tires (17" alloys) are approx 27.8" in diameter.

The 2 tire /wheel configurations offered on the Rogue are nearly identical:

Alloy wheels: 225/60R17Steel Wheels: 215/70R16 => -0.8%

In the 17" wheel size, you can also go slightly larger:

215/65R17 => 1.36%

Or smaller

235/55R17 => -1.63%

There are several options in either size.

A good tire retailer can do the calculations for you and recommend an approriate size and tire.

njr

Thanks Philipa!So as I understand it, I can get steel or alloy and 17 inch or 16 inch as long as they are close in diameter - BUT what happens if I have non-Nissan tires put on at a tire warehouse? Can ANYone put these on without damaging the sensors for the long term, even if they don't work while the snow tires are on (as per SuperDave's note)?

philipa_240sx

njr wrote: Can ANYone put these on without damaging the sensors for the long term, even if they don't work while the snow tires are on (as per SuperDave's note)?
If you get replacement tires mounted on your stock wheels, you will take a risk damaging the TPMS sensors. A good tire shop shouldn't have an issue but it's worth asking 'what if?' before you get the tires mounted. BTW, replacement TPMS sensors are over $100 a piece.

Return to “Rogue Forum”