Replacement or Alternate Wiring Connector Options

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
compressor
Car: 1997 Nissan D21

I'm trying to restore, replace, or modify various electrical components and wiring in my 1997 Hardbody D21.

What options do I have for connector replacement?

1. Pull some harnesses and connectors from the junkyard.
2. Make my own wiring harnesses using connectors that are in active production.

Are there other options I didn't list?

For the second option, what connectors and manufacturers are recommended? (I'm new to the car world.)

As an example: I'm replacing the aftermarket speakers with other speakers. The wiring the previous owner did wasn't the cleanest. (They did not use a mating connector and just stuffed the speaker wires into the male connector in the door). The new connector harness that came with the new speakers don't securely fit the door's factory male harness. (They slide on, but don't lock and would easily disconnect.)

Is there a resource that matches connector designator numbers from the electrical wiring diagram to connectors I can purchase (either OEM or replacement alternatives)?
The audio system here shows the following connector pairs:
* M158 and D2
* M104 and D102
* M172 and M301

Audio wiring diagram showing connectors:

https://imgur.com/LvtzZfY

Thanks for reading!

compressor
Car: 1997 Nissan D21

Regarding aftermarket connectors, some quick googling has come up with Deutsch connectors. This option would require cutting off the factory connectors.
The environmental sealing of the Deutsch connectors are probably overkill for some applications, especially the audio one in the original post.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Just an opinion or thought. Another option to fixing the speaker wires CAREFULLY solder wires directly to the speaker terminals. Allow at least 6-8 inch length wire. Select some sort of splice or connector (your choice) This will create a harness that allows easy removal of the speaker

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Quick question.... Is the radio a factory OEM radio or a after market?

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”