Replacement brake cable

1962-1965 Datsun L320 and NL320 forums - The truck that started it all in the US. All 320-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
deerio
Car: '63 L320

Anyone have a source for a replacement parking brake cable? The short one that runs from the handle to the driver side bracket? I just realized mine is frayed and unwound... Probably gonna have to figure out a custom workaround but if anyone has a source for a new one that'd be great!

Li'l Truckie
Car: 3 x '65 PL 320
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '62 PL 320 - parts :(
1 x '60 PLG-222
and many more Datsuns from 48hp to over 500hp

deerio,
Probably gonna have to figure out a custom workaround

- More than likely. I have never seen this cable for sale on eBay for any Datsun model truck. Should not be hard for your local machine shop to fabricate this or a DIY project so long as you can find the resources to crimp the retainers on the ends. I know this stuff is out there, just never investigated it. Heading to Fastenal later this week and I'll ask about the tools and supplies.

deerio

Thanks Andy. I actually managed to just replace the wire rope today. I bought a foot of 3/16" stainless wire rope from Home Depot and a ferrule kit all for a total of $3. My dad happened to have a swage tool so I had no trouble attaching the ferrule stop to the ends. Fingers crossed it lasts but at this moment it's just used when parked on a level surface so either way it works for me.

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

Wow, thanks for the picture!
swage tool so I had no trouble attaching the ferrule stop to the ends
I'll need to print this and stick it in the manual.

Swage tool and ferrule stop,

Appreciate the follow up on this one.

Andy

deerio

Just an FYI I did have to drill out the holes in the brackets that the rope passes thru a slight bit because I think the original rope is actually 1/8" and would probably be better now that I think about it. The slightly thinner rope would mean a thinner ferrule stop that wouldn't bind in the bracket like how mine kinda does at the moment.

What's the general method for adjusting the hand brake? At the moment if I put all my strength into it, I can rotate the rear wheels slightly while the handbrake is pulled up... Go tighter?

Li'l Truckie
1 x '64 PL 320
1 x '63 PL 320
1 x '60 PLG-222

At the moment if I put all my strength into it, I can rotate the rear wheels slightly while the handbrake is pulled up
Well that's not good. You might first want to adjust the rear brakes as they should slight rub while turning freely. Then I would move onto the emergency brake adjust here at the center cross-member.

Might want to spray with break free penetrating stuff/ Mr. Wrench before trying to adjust if yours looks like the above picture.

Andy

deerio

Thanks Andy. I'm pretty sure the brakes are adjusted pretty tight already. In fact it's probably too tight and needs to loosen up a bit because it doesn't even rotate freely without a constant application of pressure. I think I'll tighten the hand brake up a bit more to see if it helps, without rubbing while not pulled up.

Return to “Datsun 320”