Replaced the headlight assembly but light pattern is completely changed

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Leo1818
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue

I had a small collision. The driver side headlight assembly needs to be replaced. I had it repaired at a geico location (which is a big local dealer's body shop). Attached pictures is what it looks like after the repair.

It is a 18 Rogue with full LED headlight. On the passenger side (original one, not damaged), you could see a clear straight bottom line, the light area is very even. The driver side's bottom line is more like "U" shape and has more shadow areas.

Is this caused by poor aim or poor quality of parts? I understand geico always choose after market part instead of OEM, but I am surprised the difference is huge. I have contacted with them and not got reply yet.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

You could not really have picked worse pics to show lighting. You need to do it out in the middle of nowhere, not around other lighting to dilute and mess up what you are viewing there and the sideways running roadway between the parking slots messes up clarity even more not to mention one pic with an approaching car which does not help. Making your light pattern so vague there we cannot tell really what is what.

Go somewhere as pitch black as it can be and do it and how you truly tell what is what.

If one light is new and the other is original then simply compare the lighting features inside the assembly like angles of reflection, bulb(s) location, and how the clear lens is patterned. Either they are close to the same and then not a light assembly problem or different and a problem. You'll see any difference in the headlight assemblies, it will not be invisible.

One of those assemblies is too high or low, assuming the new one is the wrong one, readjust it to match the other. Start by using a garage door or other flat wall in front of car with maybe 6 foot away from it, that shows a gross problem with level instantly. Get level close THEN go to the road.

The left there has a curved bottom line and the right straight line. Move the left one up and down, the line may get flatter with an up or down move. Down I would guess as the left line is too high compared to the right.

If the pass side was undamaged by wreck then assume that light is correct and match left side to it.

lou from ny

i agree with amc49, darker is better to truly see. what always amazed me was when in my car in front of my garage, my headlights projected a straight line across my garage. this always allowed me to know my lights weren't blinding approaching traffic.

besides all that, your geico repair shop inside the dealership seriously should have done this for you as part of the repair process. i would march back there and have them do it. yes, it's a very simple fix you can do yourself, but why should you? haven't you been inconvenienced enough with the collision/repair process?

Leo1818

Talked with geico. They agreed to replace with OEM one finally. But I have to wait till the parts arrive next week. I think I would try to aim it tonight. I still need the car at least two nights before weekend.

Frzninvt
Car: 2021 AWD Rogue SL w/Premium Package
Champagne Silver

With a vehicle that new they should be using OEM parts there is a general rule that they should be abiding by. I would never use an insurance company that wastes so much money on commercials but does not give a crap about their customers. Government Employees Insurance Company = GEICO should be enough to steer you away.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

There is nothing that says they have to use OEM parts exclusively and they can use anything that professes to be 'equivalent OEM quality or better'. Past that one needs to be up enough on parts to know what a lesser quality part looks like. I use lesser than OEM (Depo, TYC) light assemblies all the time (on my own cars) and have never found one to be less than the OEM except in possible lifetime, they use thinner plastic sections that will crack easier over time. Beyond that the light output has always been absolutely excellent but you DO have to know how to aim and match the lights to each other to complement the light output.

Been with GEICO for years but not their salesman. Having said that the best payback I ever got was from them, I actually made money but you have to be ready to push back like with all insurance companies. If you don't you WILL get screwed.

Karona
Car: '99 Infiniti QX4 (R.I.P)
'08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

A good way to figure out what's going on is to just park with the lights pointed at a dark wall somewhere, like in a garage, or behind a building with no lighting, etc. Then you can see exactly what pattern is being created, from first impressions, I'd assume you just need to aim the mechanism lower

Leo1818

When I pointed the light to garage door. The light edge did have a fairly straight line. So that's the reason I thought it might be the poor quality of lens (it was TYC). But I agree with your guys that the curve might get flatter if I aimed it down a little bit. The OEM part arrived today. So it will be replaced and I don't need to bother myself to aim it.

I was surprised that they did not try to aim it again, just agree to order OEM directly (both of the dealer and geico agent). It makes me feel that they might know the issue (and do that with purpose?). For example, they knew geico (the company) would not allow dealer to order OEM parts unless the customer complained.

Return to “Rogue Forum”