Replaced head gasket, still coolant in oil

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
macklen
Car: 1985 Nissan 720

Hello everybody.
I just finished doing a head gasket on my '85 720, Z24, 4x4.
All the threads I read on the forum about it were greatly useful, specially the ones that warned about the chain tensioner popping out.
I made a wooden wedge and hammered it in and it worked great, except that a little splinter, about an inch in length and 1/4 in width broke off when I pulled the wedge off and it´s now floating in my crankcase.

Two questions for the masters:
1. Is this little wood splinter in the oil something that needs to be taken care of immediately or can it wait a week or so? I figure the oil filter and the screen in the oil pump will prevent it from doing any harm, but I want to hear your takes on it.

2. There is still some coolant showing in the dipstick, and at the oil cap. Since I believe I followed torque instructions properly and the gasket was not damaged during the install, is it possible that a bit of coolant was left in the oilpan and is now showing up?

I intended to do an oil change in a week or so anyway, when I re-torque the head bolts, but I just wanted to hear if both of these issues need to be taken care of right away, in which case the oil change would be done immediately.

First HG I´ve done to the truck, or any Nissan for that matter.

Thanks a lot.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

I'm not familiar with the oil pan, is there an oil strainer or something in place to keep the chunk of wood from splashing or in some manner getting into the crank?

I'd kill two birds with one stone. Drop the pan, clean it and remove the wood. Refill with fresh oil, and recheck for water in the oil.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

the size of the splint would make it float so it would not get to the strainer and its too small to interfere with the crank or journals. So you do not have a problem. :bigthumb:

Return to “Datsun 720”