Replaced front brake pads, but I still gotta press that pedal deep

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

Good morning
I think that I know the answer, but I confirm it with people wiser than me.
Up until a week ago, I had to press the brake pedal about half way to get breaking action. My front pads looked thin-esque and I hadn't replaced them in 5 years, so I decided to replace them. Sure, I didn't drive much in 2020; none of us did!!

After the front replacement, I feel that I still have to press down the same distance as before, so I checked my rear pads. I see that I have 1/8 of an inch or so left on those, so I'm thinking that those need to be replaced as well.
I was always under the impression that when we brake, we mostly engage the front brakes and thus use them more. I'm wrong, right?

And I need to replace the rear pads, correct?

thanks.

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Correct that 99% of street vehicles are front brake bias to prevent loss of control under braking.

Changing your brake pads to new does NOT affect brake pedal height of engagement or feel of the pedal.

(It only raises the fluid level in the reservoir. Brake performance may change depending on the type of friction material used.)

If your pedals seems to be lower than normal, there's probably a tiny bit of air in the system.

Only way to fix that is to bleed the system of air and figure out where the air leaked from.

nabril
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL

itsa300zx wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 8:47 am
Only way to fix that is to bleed the system of air and figure out where the air leaked from.
thank you Itsa
Is this something that I can do? Or does it require draining the lines and making a bigger mess?

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

There are a few ways to bleed the system, from gravity bleeding, one man bleed kits to high end pressurized bleeding equipment.

I can't comment on if you can do it or not.

You tube has many many vids on procedures but if you are not comfortable with it then I highly recommend taking to a shop.

Brakes are very simple but on the other hand you don't want to mess any of it up.

Return to “Rogue Forum”