Replaced drivers side wheel bearing and still have noise!!!

A general discussion forum for G35 and G37 owners and a great place to introduce yourself to the NICOclub G-Series Forums!
albert3029
Car: Infiniti G35x 2004

What's up guys, haven't been here in a while. First joined this forum when I bought my QX4. Got rid of it and now own 04 G35X, (Nismo, brembos, HKS exhaust,19"OEM rays, BC adjustable coilovers, IP) which I've had for almost 5 years now.
Ok, heres the problem, I've been having this buzzing/whurling noise coming from my front end. Thinking it was the tires that were cupping/feathering I bought a new set of Good year eagles. Noise continued, so I purchased hub bearing assy from Infiniti and replaced the drivers side bearing. Low and behold I still have the damn noise!!!! Not sure what else it can be, if I jerk the steering wheel to the right, the noise gets louder on the left. Thats why I assumed it was my left side bearing. :cry:

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.!!!!!

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Were your previous tires cupping? It is a common problem for lowered vehicles and when the alignment is off you will hear this sound from the tires. The AWD is known to have problems w/ the front wheel hubs much more than the RWD version.

When you removed the wheel bearing did you spin it by hand ? You can compare the new w/ the old and should notice a big difference if its bad. You can actually feel the metal grinding inside when they are bad.

How is your alignment?

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

As a side note/question, didn't think you could use staggered wheels on the X?

bentrod
Car: 2014 Q50 AWD and 2003 G35

I had a similar issue with my wife's 2003 G35. I'm guessing you may need to replace the passenger side, too? If you can get the front tires off the ground, try to spin the R/F tire. On our car you could hardly turn it, to say nothing about spinning it. Worth a shot...

albert3029

@ Tollboothwilley - My tires were actually feathering/cupping thats why I replaced them, even though I still had lots of thread left. I did my own diagnostics and just dropped of the car at the shop and told them to replace drivers side hub bearing assy. I didn't get to inspect the old bearing, it was pretty rusty from what I was told, but thats a given living in the northeast with the snow/salt.
Considering that I'm dropped, my tires didn't have much camber wear. So, I'm guessing my alignment isn't too bad. Definitely going to get an alignment done because my steering wheel is a little off.

@biggie - yea can run staggered on AWD, just have to run the same diameter tires all around. I'm running 245/40.

@bentrod - I'm taking the car to a shop Saturday morning so that they can put it on a lift and accelerate the car while in the air to see if they can find the noise. I did jack it up and inspected my brake dust shield to see if they were rubbing, but they were good.

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Actually the tires don't have to be the same size on the AWD, they just have to be within 3% of one another in diameter. So staggered setups are done as well.

tollboothwilley
Car: 2003 G35 Sedan w/ NAV

Albert - if your TOE is off it will cause cupping. Cupping makes a horrible tire roar especially around the 30mph area. Fixing the alignment is key. I never had issues with mine until the last short while where my toe was off in the front and my tires cupped. Makes them sound like big truck tires at 25-35 mph. I flipped the tires and got them aligned. Much better after that. Previously though, I had also replaced both my front wheel hubs under the assumption they were the cause. Both of them were still in decent condition w/ 175K miles on them.

albert3029

Got a wheel alignment yeaterday, guess what?! I still have the noise! Mechanic tld said he thinks the right side wheel bearing could be bad. So did I change the wrong bearing?!!!

JCombass
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I replaced both wheel bearing assemblies, have new tires, etc. I still have a roar from front end area that becomes noticeable between 50-55 mph. My mechanic told me it was internal transmission. I took to a national chain transmission shop and they said it wasn't a transmission failure, and suggested that I put on new motor and transmission mounts although the ones on the vehicle were not cracked/broken. Basically throw $ at different possibilities cause it may be a vibration. Any ideas?? :confused:

G37daily
Car: G37

Did anyone find out what the problem was. I have pretty much exactly the same problem as described on mine. Any info will help!

gross-man
Car: 2007 Infiniti G35

I have a 2007 G35 and the right front wheel bearing went bad and six months later the left started making noise. I had the bearing checked an it was ok but had one flat spot on the tire that was causing the noise.

brevardchachi
Car: 2006 infiniti m35 base model

you said that you had the x so that means you are awd have you check you front axle or the axle guide bushings if you have them not sure if they do as to I have the 2wd version

Return to “G35 and G37 General Discussions”