Replace/Swap 97 HB Tranny

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
Cre8tivPro

I bought this 97 with 221K on the odo with a "noise" from the bellhousing. Figured it was a bad throwout bearing, but for what I paid for it, I'm not complaining since I drained the oil in the tranny today only to find PIECES along with the fluid.My question is this...does anyone have a used 5-speed for this and secondly, what would be a better tranny swap instead of the stock HB 5-speed? I'm sure someone knows the answer and I know I had a 200SX tranny in my old 510. Figured either the 200SX or a 300ZX 5-speed would fit.Any ideas??? Thanks!

Big-Bird
Car: 2000 Xterra on 'Roids & 2004 Quest SL

Welcome to NICO Cre8tivPro.

It depends on the engine you have.

If you have the 2.4 L then I think you're on the right track with the 200's 5 speed. And it sticks in my mind that the 300's 5 speed is a better match for the D21's VG3.0 but I can't verify either one at the moment without a book and numbers to verify the facts.

If I'm wrong then I'll have to flog my sources with a fan belt.

I bet our online mechanic NISTECH would be able to verify this for you.

OH NISTECH! got any ideas?

Cre8tivPro

Yes, I've got the puny 2.4L I was slightly pissed when I heard CHUNKS fall out of the drain plug on this transmission and honestly, I can't tell you what part they're from except maybe a synchro since there was also a lot of brass shavings in the fluid as well.The 200sx...wonder what year I should look for on that tranny? I saw some 300zx tranny's on ebay but the only one's that looked like they would match up were the mid-80's models. I'm sure the 200SX would be cheaper anyway. What about a 240sx tranny?Thanks for the info Big-Bird....I've been away from the Nissan's since I sold my 510 about 5 years ago...amazing what one forgets.

Big-Bird

There has to be a part number database somewhere that would make this search easier.A small amount of brass filings is normal but if the filings are bigger than dust size particles it's a good bet your suspicions are right. I could check on a few other Nissan forums and see what others have discovered....but it may be a good idea for you to check with the Dealer and see what info they can provide. I do know that D21's 5 speed tranny on the 2.4L has a habit of blowing bearings on the main shafts. Thankfully a rebuild kit is available for under $300.00. It comes with all the new bearings, syncros and seals. (Gears and Shafts are not included)

Big-Bird

I talked to my Nissan Parts Guru and he told me that you will have to match the first 6 digits of the Hardbody's transmission serial number to find a tranny from a Nissan RWD car that will work with your Hardbody Engine.

The Numbers are supposed to be easy to find on the body casting of the transmission.

He did confirm my original suspisions that the tailshaft housings and output shafts might be different and that you would probably have to get a driveshaft made because of that.

Cre8tivPro

thanks man. I appreciate the info. I did, however, get recommended a local place that will charge $200 plus parts cost to basically rebuild/reman my current 5-speed. The reason I hate the stock truck tranny is because I think it's geared weird, so I wanted a little more "umph" when accelerating kinda like a 240 or more of a sports car type gearing/shiftThanks for the information I'll look into it!Now, just gotta trace my acceleration issue.....

fishmonger
Car: Nissan trucks 1997 and 2001

I am new to this board but not to Nissan trucks. I have owned four of them and have driven them to more than 900,000 miles. If you want your transmission to live a long life, either use Redline MT-90 or original Nissan GL-4 rated gear lube. If the dealer is not using GL-4 do not use them. This is critical and I discovered this the hard way by buying several transmissions. If you are using the truck to haul heavy loads like I do, replace the gear lube every 30,000 miles. Standard 75-90 lubesare GL-5 rated and they are not compatible.

Cre8tivPro

thanks for the tip. In Nissan's, I usually ONLY use Nissan fluids and filters anyway. I've seen too many MAF's be ruined by using a K&N or junky cheap brand.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”