Repainting a faded rear spoiler

A home for 1983–1989 300ZX owners!
SirNibbles
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX (Z31) VQ35DE

My rear spoiler has faded a lot from age and sun. I was planning on doing a spray-can repaint with Rustoleum Plastic Paint on it, just to hold it over until I save up a bit to get a proper paint job for the car. Does anyone know if the Rustoleum Plastic will adhere well or have something else they'd recommend?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

I used Rust-Oleum Universal Bonding Primer and then a top coat of my choice when I painted the spoiler on my Pathfinder. It's not only the top coat bond to the plastic but also the top coat bond to the out paint not removed that you have to consider. Take your time and prep the spoiler well and you won't need a "proper paint job" for this small piece. After primer has dried well enough, wet sand the spoiler with 1000 to 2000 grit sand paper before you top coat to the color of you choice. You'll be impressed with how professional you can make that spoiler finish look with a rattle can. If your hand is not that steady and the final coat looks uneven, let it cure completely and then wet sand it with 2000 grit. It'll look amazing! You can do this!

SirNibbles
Car: 1986 Nissan 300ZX (Z31) VQ35DE

Thank you for the advice. I'm excited to work on this once I get back to the states, whenever that is. I'll be sure to post a picture of how it turned out.

As for a proper paint job, I meant I plan on doing a full respray of the car within the next few years anyhow since I plan on keeping this car forever.

Return to “300ZX (Z31) Forum”