Renovating my new home...

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
cmfireman
Car: '96 Nissan S14 SE

So I am in the process of purchasing a foreclosed home, hopefully closing will be around mid-January.

It's a 3br, 2 bath 1900 sq. ft. brick ranch on 6 acres with a 1500 sq. ft. 3 bay detached garage/shop on the property.

I haven't done much yet, but as soon as closing I will be going nuts on the place. Included in my plans are:

Inside:New paint in every roomCeramic tile in both bathrooms and kitchenPrefinished hardwood flooring in all bedrooms/living room/dining roomNew light fixtures everywhereRemoving a door and making a wallRemoving a wall and making a doorwayRemoving a half-wall All new stainless steel appliances in kitchenRemoving kitchen islandNew Kitchen countertops and sinkNew faucets/fixtures/toilets

Outside:New exterior light fixturesRe-arranging posts on front porch Adding front porch banistersGravel on drivewayAdding shutters on all windowsLandscaping

I need to get some outside pics, but here are a few befores on the inside:

Taking out this door that leads to the water heater closet, and putting the doorway to the water heater inside the utility closet.

Removing this wall because it's stupid.

Holy crap at the screws!!

Ugly bath tile

Getting rid of the island

Getting started fixing holes.

Stay tuned for more. I can't wait to see the end result.

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

cmfireman wrote:Getting rid of the island
No don't do it! I really like islands.

cmfireman

Looneybomber wrote:No don't do it! I really like islands.
I like them too, this one is just kind of crappy. Once we get the floor tiled, we're going to get a pub-style island that seats two + storage, and turn it into a liquor cabinet.

cmfireman

Got a little work done today.

Pink room.....

Is now ready for paint:

Here are a few outside pics:

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Congrats on the new place! Definitely needs a repaint, but otherwise it looks good.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

cmfireman wrote:So I am in the process of purchasing a foreclosed home, hopefully closing will be around mid-January.
Looks very nice... it's not in bad condition at all for a foreclosure!

So you're fixing it up before closing? I'm surprised they're letting you in to do that... in any case I would make sure not to spend any real $$$ on it before you get it closed. I'm a realtor that lists houses for banks. It's very rare for these things to close on time - and I have seen some delayed for months...

Heath

jdansmith
Car: 2008 Sentra 2.0S, 91 Sentra 1.6DHOC, 89 Hardbody Z24

Nice find, paint has got to go That double kitchen/dinning room window would be a great sliding door to a deck! Keep us posted. Love the detached garage.

breadbox
Car: Red 89 240sx,Black 89 Koop, White 84 720 4x4KC

Can you put that garage in my back yard please?

Very nice. Lots of potential.

ESP
Car: 2008 SexyBlack A/C

That looks like a fantastic find! Looking forward to seeing the finished pics!

cmfireman

Thanks everyone. Today I have been working on the plumbing. There were a few leaking fixtures and the pipe coming from the well pump had a crack in it. I repaired the crack and covered the wellhouse in insulation, so everything is good to go there.

I'm having a problem with the water in the house. It is very muddy looking, and I'm not sure what the problem is. I flushed the well for a few hours yesterday and it really cleared up, but I believe the pipes in the house may have dirt/mud built up on them so I'm going to have to flush all the faucets on the inside for a while to see if the problem clears up. The water also has a really bad iron taste, so I may have to look into some filter options.

Dano
Car: '05 Nismo Frontier CC / '95 240sx base

That garage building looks pretty sweet! Does it have any plumbing?

cmfireman

Dano wrote:That garage building looks pretty sweet! Does it have any plumbing?
There is water in the garage, but just a spigot for now. My uncle is a plumber, and I already have a toilet and a sink that I took out of the house, so I see a bathroom in my future, I just have to figure out the septic system.

I've been working my butt off at the house the last 2 weeks. I need to bring my camera and update pics.

cmfireman

More pics finally. I have been busy the past few weeks. All new light fixtures, new door hardware, paint on every wall and trimming the crown molding/baseboard/window frames, tiled both bathrooms and installed new toilets, had the carpet shampooed, removed some existing plumbing I won't be using, and removing a wall and putting up new sheetrock.

Here are a few pics:

stuff

More snow

man cave with new desk and repaint

what once was the pink room

living room

kitchen (awaiting appliances and counter tops)

Master bath tiled and new paint

my appliances

all trash from the renovation

counter top sample

small bathroom

small bath tile

I'm waiting on stainless appliances and working on moving furniture now. I won't be able to do the wood floors or tile the kitchen until taxes come.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

You do nice work! I especially like your tile choices...

Heath

cmfireman

Thanks! Got the appliances in today and installed the over the range microwave. I can't wait for the new counter tops because I think they'll change the look of the kitchen. We've been working on moving furniture the past few days, so it's beginning to look more like home.

Hopefully get some update pics soon.

cmfireman

Got some more work done, I'm currently working a 4 on 1 off rotation on night shift so things will slow down until about May.

Got a dog from the pound. His name is Bailey, and I think he's a lab/Jack Russel mix. At about 6 months old, he's almost full grown.

New stainless appliances (minus dishwasher), new cabinet hardware, and one piece of the new counter top installed.

New counter top

Need to buy a surround sound system now

Master bath decorated

Man cave finished

In May, I plan on tiling the kitchen and doing hardwood throughout the house.

Dano

That looks freaking stellar dude! Great job! Keep us updated as progress is made!!!

cmfireman

Thanks!

I plan to get the rest of the counter tops installed and a new sink and faucet in soon. It's hard to get much done because I'm currently working 6 days a week of 12 hour night shifts.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Mmmm I heard surround sound....need recommendations? lol

House looks amazing! I'm super jealous of your find and the work you've done to it - it looks great!

cmfireman

Got a little more done:Installed remaining counter tops and sinkRemoved rear screen door because it was a pain to carry stuff in/out through 2 doorsPut out 3 yards of mulch and planted some trees/flowers (half of which my new dog has eaten, anybody know how to keep pets from eating roses?)Bought a new Scag Zero turn for grass cutting duties

Soon I'll be adding shutters, rearranging the posts on the front porch, and doing some more landscaping. The weather is beautiful!!

bundy26
Car: 2011 Buick Regal turbo

Beautiful home, congrats.As for your garage....................

Dano

Found on internet:

Try some Cyan Peppers or some other Hot stuff on the plants. That is how we trained our dog not to eat the oleanders (which is deadly to dogs)...

To get rid of unwanted animals I have used Japlano soaked Popcorn and put that around on the ground and local animals eat that then they go running! I soak popcorn kernels in Japlano oil for a long time and then pop in a kettle or pan. I mean the smell of the kernels is overwhelming enough to make you sneeze, and when you try a popcorn it literally burns your mouth....

Also I guess you can try tomato wire.... you know the stuff that you pur around the tomato plants to help them grow. This might discourage the animals from getting to the plant.

Congrats on the progress, Let's see a finished kitchen shot!

cmfireman

Thanks. I have sprinkled some Cayenne around all the plants, hopefully that will deter him.

As for the kitchen, I still have to do the tile setting and get rid of that stupid island. Hopefully very soon!

Dano

Awesome! Good luck with it all!

Eager for the next updates!

cmfireman

Been busy and never reactivated my password after the new site was up and running. Lets see....since last time I have installed shutters
did more landscaping (knockout roses, monkey grass, redbud and peach trees, ferns, petunias, and yellowbells)
somewhat arranged the garage for the time being (wire rack shelf, garden tool hanger, installed garage door openers)
I've bought more furniture (Dining table, patio set, curio cabinet, end table, island)
I bought an ATV for yardwork, fishing and fun (2007 Honda Rancher 420 FI 4x4)
Had a salt based water filtration system installed. Took care of the iron problem, but was $$.

A few update pics:

Waiting on tile and a stainless dishwasher

Waiting on hardwood floor

Master bedroom (Now has some pictures and things)

Work area in the shop. I need to build a bench, but not until I rewire and finish the shop.

Hopefully soon I will get the hardwood floors down and get the tile set in the kitchen. I also plan on rewiring the shop, insulating and finishing the walls and ceiling, building a back deck (next year), adding banisters to the front porch, and doing some more landscaping (Crepe Myrtles down the driveway). We're getting there!

wingFeather
Car: Current: 05 G35 Coupe. Previous: M35, M35 Sport, cube, J30, s13 sr20det, s13 rb20det, s14 zenki

Who needs a house with a garage like that.

Mr1der
Car: It's still not a Nissan...

if you remove that goofy little wall, make a bar out of it!

looks like it's got some 110 run in it anyway...

Return to “Around the House”