Removing old ignition cylinder?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
GahannaKid

For all the things my truck gets right there are some it seems to get wrong. For instance, although it starts every time the first time I feel like I'm stealing it because I'm using a screwdriver to start it. To fix this mechanical defect (and so that my sister would stop calling me ghetto) I ordered a new ignition cylinder from AutoZone and it came in today. The only problem is I can't seem to get the old one out without doing more harm than good.

How do I get the old one out without breaking anything else?

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

you'll have to remover the cover around the steering wheel... and then you'll need to use an easy out tool for 2 of the 4 bolt things holding it in... which sucks I know

once you get the cover off it'll look like mine... and then you'll see the 4 bolts and understand why 2 of them need an easy out

sorry i don't have a better angle so you can see what i mean more clearly

GahannaKid

I already took the cover off, was wondering what those two bolts where. That'll allow me to remove the entire ignition assembly but can I remove the cylinder w/o aquiring an easy out tool?

PEZi

afraid not... its all attached to itself

you can try borrowing an easy out to keep the price down

PEZi

do you have a picture of your new cyl?

GahannaKid

This is just the picture from AutoZones website.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

What I did was to unjack the wires and use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the head of the two bolts then I'm able to remove them anytime necessary with a flat screwdriver. You would have to cut into the housing as the bolts are recessed.

PEZi

hmm.... have you tried unplugging the back side and looking to see if you can remove the old one out the back side?

i'm not home right now so i can't really look

GahannaKid

flinterman2000 wrote:What I did was to unjack the wires and use a hacksaw to cut a groove in the head of the two bolts then I'm able to remove them anytime necessary with a flat screwdriver. You would have to cut into the housing as the bolts are recessed.
That sounds like a plan to me. My parents have my dremal but once they get home I can pick it up, remove the bracket, and be that much closer to fixing the ignition.

Doesn't look like I can get it out through the rear w/o taking off the bracket as well.

h2theizzo
Car: 1980 720, 1985 720 KC 4x4, 1980 4x4

on the lock key tumble,

There are two break away screws that hold it on. When installing, you tighten these two break away screws until the head snaps off. Then its done, when removing, you will have to drill out the break-away screws. theres no way really around this. Its just a matter of you getting a drill in there to drill it out.

I have had to remove these a few times, and have come to learn this. I don't have any pictures. I helped someone on this once, and they had to get a small angled drill from harbor freight to get in there and drill these out.

I might be able to find the thread if you need.

Return to “Datsun 720”