Removing Card/Coin Holder from 2006 350Z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
sanchezm
Car: 2006 Nissan 350Z Coupe - Base Model

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to share a little story regarding another post I read about eliminating an annoying vibration noise coming from the passenger side dash. The post gave very detailed step by step instructions for an older 350Z, back when they had a cup holder where the card/coin holder tray is on my 2006 model. The tray is basically useless and I would much rather have a cup holder instead. It is one of the items I had to remove to be able to get to the 10mm dash bolt behind it. For the life of me I could not figure out how to get the tray out, so that I could get at the bolt. I read several forum articles on the subject with a couple of people being successful in getting it out, but they don't give details or photos on exactly how they did it. I spent two hours on it and finally gave up. So I called my local dealership and spoke with the service and parts department technicians that had no idea how to get it out, stating they had never had to do it before. I then called Nissan Corporate Headquarters in the US and spoke with a customer service representative, who was absolutely no help what so ever. She basically said to take it to my local Nissan dealership and let them figure it out there. I found it hard to believe that she couldn't put me in touch with someone from their technical department. It must be a top secret information?

So the mystery on how to get the card/coin holder out of the bracket to expose the dash bolt continues. What I finally did was to remove everything but that one bolt to expose the metal passenger side knee protector for the air bag behind the dash. I was able to pull the dash cover far enough away to get to the metal pieces behind it and get the job done. If anyone has a clue on how to remove the tray for future reference, I would be very grateful. Thank you.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Been there, done that. I had a heck of a timer removing the tray from my 06. I was able to get my finger up in there int he partially open position and feel the tab that must be pulled down to slide the tray out. it's in the back center portion of the tray in a little slot on the rear portion fo the tray. it's tough to describe If I have timer later I'll pop it out and take a pic. Unfortunately as you slide the tray out it reaches a roof and you can no longer push the tab down. I managed to use a trim removal tool with a bend in it that I could jam in there and was able to hold the tab down and slide the tray out. I agree, I was unable to find any specific instruction for this and it does require a long, bent, thin tool to do the job, I'm surprised Nissan doesn't sell a special tray removal tool.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”