Removed Tow Hitch / Receiver

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Removed trailer hitch today. Don’t use it. Thought it might help some with rear shock weight (replacing shocks soon with oem grade for city driving).
Maybe it’s just my imagination but I have to say vehicle feels more nimble without it.
Took off both support arms that bolted to frame, hitch that attaches to those arms, removed trailer ball and ball mount from hatch storage and weighed it all including the 20 bolts. Came to 60lbs. Might not seem like much but that’s 60 of leverage off the bumper.
If I ever need it, I’ve got it. Also looking to replace bumper cover with an aftermarket and this will make fitting easier. Might save on gas too, who knows.

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

fixer3 wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:20 pm
Maybe it’s just my imagination but I have to say vehicle feels more nimble without it.
Nope. You're not dreaming. Our R50 model original rear coil springs are notoriously weak for the weight of these Pathfinders. Taking 60lb off the rear end will make a very noticeable improvement in handling. I added at least 60lb when I installed my trailer hitch and rear bumper guard. The KYB Gas-a-Just shocks helped quite a bit to dampen the extra load over bumps but my rear end was still soft and low, especially with passengers or cargo in the rear. I did not want to add a typical stiff constant rate coil spring upgrade to bring the height back up and prevent bottoming out over bumps, or some expensive air shock upgrade. I found the ideal coil spring for my typical daily driver needs with a variable rate coil spring from AC Delco, plus the added benefit of handling heavier loads and bumpy roads when needed. My butt was no longer dragging and I still had a comfortable ride over bumps yet got the stiffness when I needed it with heavier loads and quick turns.

fixer3
Car: 2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Just replaced rear shocks this morning (Excels - other than occasional passengers I don't really carry any weight) and would be very interested in knowing which model AC Delco variable rate coils you used.
(Those rear springs are so short, looks like I could support frame, squeeze them with my hands and get them out).

So when it's just you and/or a passenger, and no other weight, installing the variable rate springs felt like a stock ride ?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

AC Delco Professional 45H2158 is the part number. It looks to be out of stock or no longer carried by most outlets I looked at but I do see it offered on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-45H2158- ... B007QBY0GQ 5yrs ago it was readily available just about everywhere I looked when I was shopping around online. The ride comfort feels great and better than the stock coils I replaced, but they were 16yrs old and pushing 200mi at the time.

I replaced my jounce bumpers and the spring seats at the same time. The lower spring seat is actually just a split sleeve that fits onto the coil. OE is the only option for that one. I went with OE for the upper seat as well but got an OEM knockoff from Febest for the bumpers.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”