Removed front pillar trim - how does trim clip come out?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
M37owner
Car: 2011 M37

2011 M37:
I removed the front right A-pillar trim piece to run wiring (for dash cam). For those who don't know, there are two clips used to hold the pillar trim piece - but they are special clips and you have to cut off the clip heads to remove. I believe this disposable clip design is to allow the trim piece to "pop out" during curtain air bag deployment while still keeping trim connected to pillar so trim doesn't go flying through the passenger compartment.

I ordered replacement clips.
I was looking at the pieces of the two clips still attached (inserted in) to the pillar frame and wondering how these pieces are removed. Once I have the replacements in hand it will most likely be obvious. But until then, I thought i's ask here. Does anyone know?

So question is, how is the pillar trim retaining clip removed from the pillar (pried straight out, turn to remove, cut off head flush and drive in, etc.)?

Thanks

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

Any pics?

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Not sure what you're on about mate. My A pillars (2007 and 2009) just yank out with a slight twist and then when you align them, they snap back into place. Maybe they changed the pillar design after the switch to the wavy body style?

M37owner

Yes, the design changed when airbags were added to pillars. So if the air bag deploys, the pillar trim pops off but is still retained by the trim clip (the trim clip allows the pillar trim to come off about an inch but is still physically attached to pillar).

I got the new clips yesterday. I can see now that the pieces still in the pillar should pull straight out (they have two protruding tabs that lock them into a square hole in the pillar .I don't have the replacement clip with me now to photo/post - but I can add a picture of the clip later, if anyone is interested in seein git.

M37owner

This is the Pillar Trim Clip (2 per side) Nissan P/N 76988-JM00A

M37owner

Last post on this - in case someone is doing a project like this and later reads this thread...

When you install the clips, they need to be installed into the trim panel first (don't put them into the metal slot in the pillar first). When you put the clips in the trim panel, the clip head goes in sideways then you turn it 90 degrees. BTW, these clips are not there to hold trim in place. The trim will stay in place without the clips. The Clips are to retain the trim from flying into your passenger's face if the pillar airbag were to deploy.

Also, note that larger "hook" on the head of the trim (see photo above) faces toward the pass compartment. Similarly, the base of the clip is square with a "narrow section". The narrow side of the clip base faces the passenger compartment.

Once the clips are installed in the trim, you can reposition the trim within about 2 inches of it being fully installed and still get a couple of fingers in behind the trim to pop the clips into the pillar slots. They snap in very easily (very little effort needed) - but they are really tough to get out.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”