Removal of aftermarket turbo

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
06z
Car: 2006 350Z

Apologies if this has been asked, but I could not find a solid answer anywhere.

I am a new owner of an 06 Z. It has an aftermarket turbo set up that I feel will just cause me issues. Granted, I love the power but I'm ignorant with FI and there are some problems with it already, hence my reluctancy to keep it boosted. The reason for this post is for advice on removal. If the turbo is removed, would a new tune be required? If so, is driving the car to the location of said tune safe? Is there a way to manually disconnect the turbo (safely) and see if that solves some of my drivability issues (Service engine light, turbo sputter etc) then connect it again, with out a re-tune or is that required?

I don't know the name of the turbo or where to find that info. I do have a revup Osorio in box, and extra injectors, I believe these are stock ones. However the ecu management system I have, I don't know how to use.

Lots of ignorance, but the car was a gift to me. So I wasn't able to do final inspection on a lot of things.

Basically, I'm in the dark here. The car overall is wonderful, but I'd like to protect my wallet a bit. Thanks for any direction you can provide.

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Unfortunately you're gonna have to take the car to someone who knows what they are looking at. A retune or return to stock would be suggested for the most stock operation. Technically you could remove the turbo and run without as the z uses metered air. If you don't want the turbo you're best bet is to remove it completely, and return to the stock injectors and ecu. I believe Osiris is a romulator so it should be a pretty simple process to return the ecu to stock. you can buy a cold air intake or find used stock air box and intake to return the intake side to stock. removing the turn most likely you'll need new or used stock or aftermarket downpipes. any competent shop should be able to handle this. The good news is a used turbo kit should bring $3k or better so that should offset the cost fo having the work doen and any parts you need to replace.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”