Remotes Inop after ECU Reset, 2007 M35X

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
weissman
Car: 2007 M35X Tech/

Idle was erratic, so replaced air intake hoses.

Idle was too high at 1100, so cleaned MAF and now idles around 750. Acceptable.

Reset ECU code with accelerator timing procedure to clear code, and now remotes inop. New batteries. No internal settings (seats, mirrors, radio presets) were effected.

Remotes will not perform any of their button functions, but car will start when either placed in dock.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Dan

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I've done the ECU reset with the timing procedure many times and have never had an issue with the remotes after, on my 07 or my current 11. That is very odd indeed.

weissman

agree. did resets before. this is the first time.

lucky me!

weissman

Ilya,

Full functionality has returned to one of the remotes. Cannot explain how. The other is still inop.

Is there a receiver module that could be getting wonky?

A vy iz Rossii?

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

weissman wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:54 pm
Remotes will not perform any of their button functions, but car will start when either placed in dock.
If you're certain that the remote batteries are in good condition, then the I-Key control unit is suspect. A trouble-shooting option is to have the fobs reprogrammed. It'll be a nice idea to have the I-Key control unit scanned.

Costee
Car: 2006 Infiniti M45 Sport
2012 Nissan Murano SL

weissman wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:14 pm
Ilya,

Full functionality has returned to one of the remotes. Cannot explain how. The other is still inop.

A vy iz Rossii?
Yes, there is. It's controlled by the I-Key unit, although it's seldom faulty. If one of the fobs is now working then maybe it's a cell battery issue.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Costee wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:35 pm
Yes, there is. It's controlled by the I-Key unit, although it's seldom faulty. If one of the fobs is now working then maybe it's a cell battery issue.
+1
That sounds much more like a fob issue than a car issue.

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

I had a key fob a few years ago seem to go bad. It wouldn't work anymore and I changed the battery and it still wouldn't work. I took it to a locksmith that does cars and they opened it up and bent the contacts inside, after that it worked perfect. The guy there said often after a car is 10+ years old the contact tension gets low and makes the battery had bad contact to the key fob circuit, so by bending them to give higher pressure it starts working ok again for another few years.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

EniGmA1987 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:12 pm
I had a key fob a few years ago seem to go bad. It wouldn't work anymore and I changed the battery and it still wouldn't work. I took it to a locksmith that does cars and they opened it up and bent the contacts inside, after that it worked perfect. The guy there said often after a car is 10+ years old the contact tension gets low and makes the battery had bad contact to the key fob circuit, so by bending them to give higher pressure it starts working ok again for another few years.
+1 on that too.
Forget old age, I've seen that happen on 1~2 year old rides. There was even a bulletin about poor fob battery contact on certain models.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

weissman wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:14 pm
Ilya,

A vy iz Rossii?
That is very interesting but good to hear. I also tend to lean towards what the other posters are saying...perhaps testing the fitment of the batteries again and maybe bending the contacts is worth a shot? Maybe some cleaning with a small brush too just to ensure no dust, etc.?

RE: RuZZia...as one of the new songs from this spring says, "Доброго вечора, ми з України!". Won't ever see me in that POS country to the east of Ukraine.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Good Evening.jpg
Good Evening.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 573 times
I don't speak Ukrainian, but google does.
Слава Україні. 'Nuff said.

weissman

First, regarding Ukraine, one of my grandmothers was from Kyiv, and I spent many years in Kyiv building law firms for clients. I worked throughout the CEE region conculting with law firms from 1990 through 2018 when I closed my company and retired.

Along with Prague, Kyiv is my favorite city in the region, so green and gold beautiful.

Please forgive me if I offended anyone with the transcribed Russian. I spoke it fluently having been a graduate student at Moscow State University, and I was there when Brezhnev died in 1982. I always aplogized first for speaking Russian when addressing someone in another CEE country and explained that I did not speak their language.

One of my best friends in the world is a Ukrainian pastor in Lithuania. Whenever I travelled in CEE I would spend a weekend with him and family and preach in their church in Svencioneljaj.

As far as a language, Ukrainian has some really unusual linguistic features.

Second, back to the car, thank you for the suggestions.

I did replace the batteries a day ago to eliminate that possibility, also confirmed continuity.

I switched the remote backs on the two remotes and, the one that works worked with both. the other did not work with either back.

I inspected it visually and could find nothing on the board suggesting and obvious issue. Adjusted the contacts and bupkis!

Will be looking for an auto locksmith to reprogramm the remotes.

Glad that it is most likely not the in-car module.

Thanks again.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

weissman wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:46 pm
Will be looking for an auto locksmith to reprogramm the remotes.
You're most welcome. Speaking for myself, I didn't infer that speaking Russian automatically made you a fan of ol' Vlad. I merely think putting, "Good Evening," on a tank barrel speaks for itself.

Smithies usually have a tester like the ones we use at Nissan which can tell you whether a fob is transmitting or not. You might want to just pay one a visit, it may take only a few seconds in their shop to find out if the fob is bad.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”