Remote starter switch/compression test

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
sneaky_burglar
Car: 97 Pickup

Having trouble getting a remote starter switch hooked up.
its an actron switch, just supposed to link up to the battery terminal and the control wire on the starter, but i'm not getting it to fire.

97 D21 - starter is a remmy 17288 or similar. Two terminal posts and a third soldered connection off the starter. Tried attaching my starter to the two posts, the starter just whirrs - so its spinning but not engaging the fly wheel.

tried the battery post off the starter and butt-probing also jumping the connector off the soldered connection, doesn't turn over.

Any other ideas for where to hook up this switch?

also, how about a clutch bypass? Right now its a 2x4 jamming the clutch down. what terminals would i jump on the clutch relay?

thanks

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

When you’re connecting the wires to the two terminals on the starter your by passing the starter solenoid. There is a starter relay located under the hood - passenger side in a black box. You might try removing the relay and try installing the remote there. Before checking compression make sure you remove the fuel pump relay.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”