Remote start

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
stm37s
Car: 2012 300 SRT8
2011 M37S
2006 Range Rover HSE (Wife's Ride)
2012 Camaro LS (Wife's Ride)
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)
2012 Hyundai Veloster (Daughters Ride)

Hey I know this is not a Infiniti product but quick question. My wife wants a remote starter for her 2012 Camaro ls, I called the nearest dealership and they informed me that since the car did not come pre installed for a remote starter that if I add this aftermarket item, there might be electrical issues that might void my extended warranty, then again, it might not be any electrical issues at all. Just curious. I'm going to call around and talk to my mechanic as well to get some more info. Thanks for any and all info that you all can provide.

Debonair
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56

If you called the dealer and told them you were going to install an additional 12v socket to charge your cell phone they would have given you the same warning. Dealer protocol.

Factory warranties can only void the specific part that was modified, not the whole warranty. I do not know about extended warranties.

I suggest you seek out the top 2 or 3 Camaro forums (I imagine there are lots) and search for threads on remote start. You should be able to find information on which kit is best, which to avoid, etc. This is exactly how I researched the remote start for my wife's car.

Debonair

stm37s
2011 M37S
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)

Debonair wrote:If you called the dealer and told them you were going to install an additional 12v socket to charge your cell phone they would have given you the same warning. Dealer protocol.

Factory warranties can only void the specific part that was modified, not the whole warranty. I do not know about extended warranties.

I suggest you seek out the top 2 or 3 Camaro forums (I imagine there are lots) and search for threads on remote start. You should be able to find information on which kit is best, which to avoid, etc. This is exactly how I researched the remote start for my wife's car.
Thanks for the info Debonair, I called a couple of shops and they told me the same thing that you just mentioned. I will be installing a remote starter/car alarm for the wife's ride. I saw that link you posted earlier when I first started looking.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

I would really like to add remote start to my M, but when I discussed it with my service rep at the dealer, he told me they stopped installing after market systems do to wiring harness failures and such. He told me they work great for a while, but eventually fry the wiring. No idea how accurate that info is but it skeeered me so I never had it done.

mrnix
Car: Currently 2012 M37X, Malbec Black
Formerly 2004 Infiniti G35 Sedan

I used to install remote starters, alarms, etc, but that was in the late 90s. At that time, there were no intelligent keys, just factory security systems to bypass, which typically weren't that difficult. Regardless, I have no reason to believe a properly installed remote starter would fry vehicle wiring. Dealers like to blame any and every issue a car ends up having on an aftermarket alarm, with zero basis other than they saw an alarm control box under the dash.

Debonair

I can't agree more. A proper product properly installed will work fine. Fear no mod. :D

wilpark
Car: 2012 M37X

I had a remote starter put in my 2012 M37x at my dealer in Long Island NY. You can haggle with the service dept but not with the finance guy. Finance wanted $695.00 for a viper (directed electronics) integrated into the intelligent key. Passed on it because they would not budge on price.

I called the service dept and they told me $495.00. Any wiggle room in the price? I was told no. Thought I would go to a local, reputable installer that would put the same system for $275.00 installed. Was going to go with the local installer, until I went in for service appointment.

Went to have car serviced because of cowl noise and asked again about the starter. $495.00 Any wiggle room on the price? I ask. Service guy's reply was " its $695.00 with financing." I told him if its done properly remote starters wont cause any problems. Guy 30 minutes from here will install for $275.00. "They are basically plugins now anyway." He agreed. I told him I wasnt comfortable with the price. He then asks me what I am comfortable with? I say to him $350.00. Replies "lets meet in the middle at $395.00." Deal is done.

One annoying thing is I have to press the lock button 3 times to activate the remote starter but Im happy dealer was willing to move on price. I understand that I paid more than I needed to but if the off chance something does go wrong the onus is on the dealer. For that I will pay a mark up for.

stm37s
2011 M37S
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)

wilpark wrote:I had a remote starter put in my 2012 M37x at my dealer in Long Island NY. You can haggle with the service dept but not with the finance guy. Finance wanted $695.00 for a viper (directed electronics) integrated into the intelligent key. Passed on it because they would not budge on price.

I called the service dept and they told me $495.00. Any wiggle room in the price? I was told no. Thought I would go to a local, reputable installer that would put the same system for $275.00 installed. Was going to go with the local installer, until I went in for service appointment.

Went to have car serviced because of cowl noise and asked again about the starter. $495.00 Any wiggle room on the price? I ask. Service guy's reply was " its $695.00 with financing." I told him if its done properly remote starters wont cause any problems. Guy 30 minutes from here will install for $275.00. "They are basically plugins now anyway." He agreed. I told him I wasnt comfortable with the price. He then asks me what I am comfortable with? I say to him $350.00. Replies "lets meet in the middle at $395.00." Deal is done.

One annoying thing is I have to press the lock button 3 times to activate the remote starter but Im happy dealer was willing to move on price. I understand that I paid more than I needed to but if the off chance something does go wrong the onus is on the dealer. For that I will pay a mark up for.

Glad you got what you wanted and at a good price

wilpark

stm37s wrote:Hey I know this is not a Infiniti product but quick question. My wife wants a remote starter for her 2012 Camaro ls, I called the nearest dealership and they informed me that since the car did not come pre installed for a remote starter that if I add this aftermarket item, there might be electrical issues that might void my extended warranty, then again, it might not be any electrical issues at all. Just curious. I'm going to call around and talk to my mechanic as well to get some more info. Thanks for any and all info that you all can provide.
Think they use language to dissuade non dealer accessories so you will use the dealer. Funny thing is with the remote starters they will use the very same local installers you'd take your car to.

If they can pinpoint how the install from non dealer damaged the electronics they can void warranty but if the dealer is reputable it won't mess up the car.

CarolinaMMan
Car: 2013 M37S AERO

wilpark wrote:I had a remote starter put in my 2012 M37x at my dealer in Long Island NY. You can haggle with the service dept but not with the finance guy. Finance wanted $695.00 for a viper (directed electronics) integrated into the intelligent key. Passed on it because they would not budge on price.

Forgive my ignorance here guys, new to the forum world...
Wait...So, the dealer can install remote starts that are covered by warranty? They changed the key? M keys do not have the 5th button, as the JX (etc) does. This is interesting to me, because this is the ONLY negative I have with the Infiniti M.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Dealers outsource this type of job 99% of the time to the local installer, so yes, they can definitely do this. Now, if you go to a local installer and he says he can't do it, then he can't do it.

As for warranty, as Wilpark says, they can't void it unless they can prove that the modification (in this case the remote start) broke something (per the Magnusson-Moss Act). Same for exhausts, coilovers, wheels, intakes, etc.

wilpark

CarolinaMMan wrote:

Forgive my ignorance here guys, new to the forum world...
Wait...So, the dealer can install remote starts that are covered by warranty? They changed the key? M keys do not have the 5th button, as the JX (etc) does. This is interesting to me, because this is the ONLY negative I have with the Infiniti M.
Usually the dealer doesnt install. They call a local installer and they put it in. I believe the m 37s are remote starter ready. It uses the original key but in order to start the car you have to hit the lock button 3 times. Another issue is that the range of the infiniti intelligent key isnt as far as the manufacturers fob. a little annoying but had dealer put it in cuz the 2012 m37x i got had only 16k miles.

JCesar

I asked them about adding remote start to my M37x after I got it and they told the same. it was a feture that you could get at first but they decided to remove it due to a lot of issues and problems. aftermarket is the only options now

CarolinaMMan

Fellas, great info. I think I have decided to go with the Viper set up that uses my current key. Tap 3 times and car fires up for a designated amount of minutes.
Anyone heard pros and cons to the Viper system on Nissan or Infiniti?
Getting it done this Wednesday as long as I hold my appointment. Local Viper dealer is doing them for about $300.

robrie
Car: 13 M5
04 350z
13 M37x - Totaled
07 M35 - Sold
01 Max SE - Sold

No issues if installed right. I have a Compustar with Dronemobile in my M37x. Had for a few months and works like a champ.

CarolinaMMan

Hmm. I need to do more research on that brand.
Is it simple to start? Tap lock 3 times? Remember what it cost? I have heard there are some bogus ones out there, that after you have started the car, and walk up to it, you have to cut it off before the key will work to unlock door...definitely want to stay away from that one.

robrie
04 350z
13 M37x - Totaled
07 M35 - Sold
01 Max SE - Sold

Its simple. I can either start from my remote, holding the start button for 3 seconds or from the Drone app. I don't use the key fob. After I unlock, I have 45 seconds to open the door, close and press the brake or it will shut off.

CarolinaMMan

Ok so it cam with a secondary fob/ remote..
Gotcha.

wilpark

robrie wrote:Its simple. I can either start from my remote, holding the start button for 3 seconds or from the Drone app. I don't use the key fob. After I unlock, I have 45 seconds to open the door, close and press the brake or it will shut off.

All you have is 45secs? Not that good for warming up the car to get car to desired temp in hot or cold weather.

Viper/Phython shuts of in 20 minutes. Check out Fortin as well

robrie
04 350z
13 M37x - Totaled
07 M35 - Sold
01 Max SE - Sold

Nope, I can set mine to 3, 15, 25 or 45 minute run time. I meant after you unlock with the Compustar, you have 45 seconds to press the brake or the remote start will shut off.

CarolinaMMan

robrie wrote:No issues if installed right. I have a Compustar with Dronemobile in my M37x. Had for a few months and works like a champ.
Robrie,
Called around for the Compustar with Drone set up, local installers quoting $600-$650. Jeez!

stm37s
2011 M37S
95 Impala SS (sold)
2004 Impala SS (sold)

CarolinaMMan wrote:
robrie wrote:No issues if installed right. I have a Compustar with Dronemobile in my M37x. Had for a few months and works like a champ.
Robrie,
Called around for the Compustar with Drone set up, local installers quoting $600-$650. Jeez!
I actually got the viper remote start and alarm and the wifey loves it

CarolinaMMan

I was (kinda still am) sold on the viper. But the Compustar dealers and installers locally all say, "we were viper dealers and decided to move away from viper for quality reasons."

Kinda torn at this point. Viper is more affordable and I guess it all depends on the installation being done right. I really do not want any car issues after installation. Auto start is a nice to have and have been wanting it for a while. So, we will see. For me, it's between COMPUSTAR VS. VIPER (basic on both using factory keep fob) $430 vs. $315. Do these prices sound pretty standard? Help!! Info Info!!

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Been following this thread...curious how you make out. This winter wasn't bad, but if Winter 2016 is like Winter 2014, I'll need a starter...it was B-R-U-T-A-L up here in NY that winter.

CarolinaMMan

Starter for the winter is a must...also a must for the summers in the South. I'm in NC and summers are a hazy blur filled with hot entries in Black Cars. Black leather melting skin on contact. Just remind me...AC on HI...seat chillers on...well, on max is better. Ok, now start car, 15 mins later we run from AC at home to car!! Which has been cooling off via my auto start.

robrie
04 350z
13 M37x - Totaled
07 M35 - Sold
01 Max SE - Sold

CarolinaMMan wrote:
Robrie,
Yeah, I'm a techy guy so I love being able to control and track my car with my phone. You could just go with a Compustar and key fob only. I know their systems can be controlled with the factory key fob too. You can do that and just add an RF kit later down the road if you want more range. You can always add Drone later as well. That's what I love about Compustar, how upgradable their stuff is without having to redo the entire install, plus they're local to me.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”