Remote Start from OEM FOB on a 2007 M35x

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
culblaster
Car: 2007 Infiniti M35x

Can anyone recommend a specific product and bypass module (if needed) to provide a remote start capability (from hitting the "lock" button on the original key fob 3 times) on a 2007 M35x?

I have searched and read several threads on this site and couldn't find a definite answer of a specific model.
"DEI" was reported to work (without naming a specific model) as well as XK09. Both required a "bypass" module - DBALL (I think). Couldn't find a clear explanation or even a YouTube video.

If you are aware of an exact model or a DIY guide, that would be great. If I can at least get a known good solution/model I can create a DIY guide and post it to help out the community after I get the project done.

Cheers

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

So you are looking to sacrifice one fob in the car to have the stock fob remote start ability? If so, your dealer may be able to point you in the right direction or any local car audio/remote start shop (they may be tell you what they'd install in your car and then you can just look for that product yourself/install yourself once you find it). Personally, that route (with stock fob) isn't worth it because the distance is very low IIRC. You're better going full aftermarket so you can get better range.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ilya wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:10 pm
So you are looking to sacrifice one fob in the car to have the stock fob remote start ability? If so, your dealer may be able to point you in the right direction or any local car audio/remote start shop (they may be tell you what they'd install in your car and then you can just look for that product yourself/install yourself once you find it). Personally, that route (with stock fob) isn't worth it because the distance is very low IIRC. You're better going full aftermarket so you can get better range.
+1. Not to mention you're fooling the BCM two different ways instead of one, and mama doesn't always like to be fooled. We've removed several of those units for frustrated owners who ended up with no-starts because the modules caused issues elsewhere in the security system.

culblaster

I see. Range isn't a big issue for me - but I can see the advantage. The thing I really wanted to avoid was having to carry 2 fobs. I also didn't want to use an after market fob unless it fits in the little cubby for the OEM fob in the dash.

So must I carry 2 fobs? or must I switch to an aftermarket fob? one of those two options is required is what I'm hearing?

And can you name specific hardware that I need to get that will work?

EniGmA1987
Car: '06 Infiniti M35 Sport

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:25 pm
+1. Not to mention you're fooling the BCM two different ways instead of one, and mama doesn't always like to be fooled. We've removed several of those units for frustrated owners who ended up with no-starts because the modules caused issues elsewhere in the security system.
Ya I dont think I have seen a single user on these forums who has ever been happy with their remote start after a couple of months.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

culblaster wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:48 pm
I see. Range isn't a big issue for me - but I can see the advantage. The thing I really wanted to avoid was having to carry 2 fobs. I also didn't want to use an after market fob unless it fits in the little cubby for the OEM fob in the dash.

So must I carry 2 fobs? or must I switch to an aftermarket fob? one of those two options is required is what I'm hearing?

And can you name specific hardware that I need to get that will work?
I was like you when I was looking at the options for my '11 M56x. I didn't want two fobs because I felt like it would be too much in my pocket. After having my FORTIN system now for 3-4 years, it's honestly not something I even care about.

culblaster

Good info, thank you all.

FORTIN has an EVO-All ($120) and EVO-ONE ($210) ... I'm not clear on the major difference, it appears the ONE includes an ALL plus some other features. Both appear to have simple remote start, door locks, trunk, etc.

"The EVO-ALL is the ultimate ALL-IN-ONE data immobilizer bypass, keyless entry, convenience, low power remote start and security interface combo module in the industry."

"The EVO-ONE is the ultimate and smallest ALL-IN-ONE HIGH POWER data immobilizer bypass, doorlock, security system & remote start interface. Compatible with all EVO-ALL T-Harnesses and also providing a new broad access to High Power T-Harnesses the EVO-ONE now sets the industry benchmark to a higher level."

The website steers you at both of them for a 2007 M35x - implying the M35x is a "low power" application. It looks like the FORTIN EVO-All... wait one - I think it is just now dawning on me, these EVO units are Data Bypass/interface modules, they just give you access to the car's control systems... you then need to add a remote start unit or whatever units you then want to add to your car TO this bypass unit?

oohhhhh....

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

culblaster wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:46 am
The website steers you at both of them for a 2007 M35x - implying the M35x is a "low power" application. It looks like the FORTIN EVO-All... wait one - I think it is just now dawning on me, these EVO units are Data Bypass/interface modules, they just give you access to the car's control systems... you then need to add a remote start unit or whatever units you then want to add to your car TO this bypass unit?
Any sort of remote start has to fool the BCM by some means to get past the NATS/NVIS systems in the car. They don't really bypass the security in a sense of disabling or going around it, instead they pretend to be a valid fob in some fashion to get the BCM to do what you want. Some actually do it by embedding a hard-wired fob in the car, but most do it with software that's able to pretend it's a fob. I suppose you can call that "bypassing", but in fact it's more like "spoofing".

culblaster

Delicious.

I see FORTIN has fobs you can buy and add to your EVO-ALL or EVO-ONE purchase... I suppose that is how this will all happen.

I can't resist though, I'm going to email them to see if it's possible to buy a newer infiniti fob that actually has the remote start button in it and get that to work on their unit... wouldn't that be something?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

culblaster wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:30 pm
I can't resist though, I'm going to email them to see if it's possible to buy a newer infiniti fob that actually has the remote start button in it and get that to work on their unit... wouldn't that be something?
Worth a shot, but I doubt it. They'll probably be using a different frequency for their fob to avoid crosstalk and/or miscommunication. They'll want to avoid any potential situation where they're instructing the BCM to do one thing but the BCM is already doing another. Not just aggravating for you, it could conceivably send the BCM program "off in the weeds" and then everything would quit working.

culblaster

Yeah its a no go. I didn't verify that it was radio bands - but that certainly could the case. In terms of a swap up to a newer fob, if not radio - surely it could also be that they use different control hardware. The FORTIN website is very nice and has great charts and info on what is compatible with what and its clear different control hardware/software is used across very similar model lines in the same manufacturer in the same model year.

Looks like it would be ~$200 in parts for and EVO ONE unit and an RF unit like the RFK442.

So disappointed I can't add remote start and still be able to use the original fob or a fob of the same shape that will fit into the dash receptacle for it. I could handle going from putting a key in when I get into the car to shoving a fob into a dash hole... but this "you don't even need to pull it out of your pocket" is going to get the best of me. Here's to hoping cars of the future can be retrofitted to take a key or have fob holes!

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”