Remote Keyless System Dead

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Svenfran
Car: 1995 Nissan Maxima

95 Maxima SE, manual trans, 206K miles. I just replaced the ignition key switch/cylinder a**'y because it was getting loose and the "Start" position was intermittent. Now I have no remote control functions from my keyless entry devices. No power door locking/unlocking; no window-down function; no panic button; and no remote trunk unlock. Not sure if this happened immediately after replacing the ign switch, or a day later. I have checked some fuses, but not all.

From my factory service manual, I did some checks of the "Multi-remote Control Unit" power and data connections in the trunk (also described as Local Control Unit, or LCU05) and have found no problems so far.

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the logical diagnostic order. Should I just replace the LCU05 in the trunk (which apparently serves as the "receiver" for the system) and hope for the best? Or something else? The service manual is pretty hard to follow and doesn't really lead me down a logical diagnostic path. Any help is greatly appreciated.

MaximA32

This may sound silly but have you checked the battery in the remote? That would be the cheapest and easiest to check.

Svenfran

Not silly at all. I have two remotes, both with recent batteries, and neither works, so I'm figuring the odds of that being the problem are slim. Thanks, Svenfran

Svenfran

Success! After checking various items based on help from this and another forum, and just before going to my last resort (replacing the LCU-05 multi-remote control unit), I decided to try reprogramming my remotes, per the procedure posted on this and the other forum. That did the trick. Thanks to all for the help, and to the forum. Svenfran

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”