Remote control or Theft warning system problem?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
drbill
Car: 94 J30

I've started experiencing the typical dry solder problems with my '94 J30. I've already disassembled and resoldered the headlight relay to fix the problem with it. And the radio is sitting in a box ready to be sent out for repair.

Lately, the car has becomed possessed, however. Several weeks ago, after leaving a parking garage, the alarm system went off while I was driving it. It was erratic and random. I think the person in front of me thought I was trying to flag them down, what with my lights flashing and the horn blowing; they pulled over. It just quite and didn't reoccur.

Then, today, while driving, the emergency lights flickered for a few seconds, then the doors unlocked (and wouldn't stay locked), and then the horn started. It stayed on for a few minutes while I'm driving down the highway. The high beams flashed occasionally. Then it stopped. During all this, the other electrical systems, such as door locks and A/C, worked fine. The exception was the cruise control, which would no engage.

The interior light stays on, if I leave the switch in the "door" position, so it's switched off. The door key hole light is constantly on, as is the key illumination light on the steering column.

I'm thinking it's either the Remote Control unit or the Theft Warning unit (or both). Since the Remote Control unit looks easier to get to, I'm planning on pulling it first, and see if it can be openned and re-soldered. I'll check all the harness connections at the same time.

Any ideas or suggestions?

It is possible that the alternator's partially to blame. I'll have that checked out in the next day or two.

Defiant
Car: 1997 J30

First and most common suspect is the antitheft timer.

I don't know why Nissan thought they had to do such a faithful copy of a Jaguar.

freedomghost
Car: 1994 Infiniti J30t

Did you ever figure out your problem? That sounds like a carbon copy of the issues I am having. I have heard a lot about the door lock timer from fuzzycats.com, but do not know if that will solve all of the problems.

yodawill2000
Car: 94 Infiniti J30

Alternator going out ??No way the lock timer is turning your flashers on and honking the horn. Ive heard of weird stuff happening when the Alternator is dying.

drbill

I pulled the plug on the Theft warning system and the problem has not re-occured. Now I just need to pull it out and try resoldering the connections. I've been hesitating to due this because it looks like I might have to disassemble half the dash, and it's not a critical system.

Maybe after the vehicle passes this year's inspection.

freedomghost

I have been trying to disconnect the theft control but i do not think that I have found it. what color is it?

drbill

Don't remember the color, but it's just to the right of the steering column. There are two units, both maybe slightly larger than a deck of cards, next to each other. One's the remote control unit and the other is the security system. Since they are both related to the doors locking and unlocking, etc. I disconnected both.

Bobber10

It’s been a couple of years sense the last reply but did you ever figure out your problem because I’m having the same exact issues and when I unplugged the thief control unit every this is fine until I try to open the trunk and some times the horn goes blaring so if you ever figured out on how to fix it that would be useful.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You could also check the lock cylinder switch on the driver's door. On older Nissan products the cylinder switch is the "set/reset" signal for the security system, so if it's bouncing around and sending false signals about the lock position, the system can do all sorts of screwy stuff.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”