Remote Control - Logitech Harmony 1100 RF Review

Home project-related forums. Woodworking, home improvement, landscape, and cooking discussion forum. Yeah, car guys cook.
AppleBonker
Car: Useful: 2011 Black Nissan Titan Pro-4x
Daily: 2003 Accord EX-L Coupe
Hers: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

The title says it all. I just had this monster delivered today. I could hardly contain my excitement. My first decent remote that I purchased was a Harmony 880. When that died (well out of warranty - the volume up button stopped working), I upgraded to the Harmony One. The Harmony One is an excellent remote, so I'll be using that as my comparison for this review. I recently called Logitech to complain about the defective 880. Even though it was out of warranty, I was kind of bummed that it would stop working after only a few years. Anyway, they offered to give me a coupon for one of their current remotes so I could replace it without having to pay full cost.

I decided to try out the 1100 for a few reasons. First, it will run off RF (radio frequency) so you don't need a line of sight to the components. In fact, it can be used to make selections from another room. My couch and my TV are close together, so the components that are near the floor are obstructed by the coffee table. This resulted in my having to hold the remote above my head to use it when I was reclined. It's doable, but I'm lazy and wanted a better solution. So, I used the coupon to order the 1100 with the RF extender (the extender receives the remote signal and then uses IR blasters to convert it back to IR for your components). This would also be quite handy for anyone with a legit theater where components are rack-mounted in a closet.

The box was left at my door, so I headed home at lunch to move it inside (I didn't want anyone walking by to grab it). I opened it to check out the remote in all its glory.

After work, the fun began. I've upgraded remotes from Logitech before (880 -> One) which was easy. Unfortunately, the configuration settings for the 1100 are incompatible, so a new Harmony account was needed. I setup a new account and copied down all of my settings from my old account. Now, to plug in the remote and set it all up. The harmony software can be slightly confusing at first, but even a novice should be able to figure it out over the course of an hour or so (depending on the complexity of your theater).

Once I had the remote functioning as normal, I decided to install the RF extender to make it so the remote didn't have to be pointed at the tv. This did not go as planned. I couldn't get everything to play nice together. So, a quick call to technical support later and I figured out the issue. The RF extender needs to be updated first, without the remote plugged in to the computer (all via USB). After the extender is fully upgraded, it is disconnected from the computer and the remote re-attached and then the remote gets its upgrade. Then, unplug everything and play. Easy enough now, but the instructions to this end were somewhat limited.

Now, let's get to some pics. First is a shot of the activities screen. For those of you unfamiliar with harmony remotes, activities are similar to macros in that they perform all the necessary functions to run the activity on their own. For example, if I push watch tv, the remote turns on my cable box, turns on my tv and turns on my audio/video receiver. Then, it selects the correct input on the tv and AVR. One button configures all my gear so it is usable. Even your wife can use it. No more fumbling with 5 remotes just to watch tv or a movie. Here is what my activities screen looks like:

When I'm watching tv, I default to the following screen:

The LCD touchscreen allows me to make any of the selections that my comcast remote would do. The volume buttons and mute control the AVR. All of the control is fully customizable, so I can assign any button to whatever function I desire. Unfortunately, the graphics and layout are not. This isn't a major drawback in my book, because there is a limit to the functionality Logitech can provide while still keeping the cost down.

Need to get to the DVR functions for your cable box? Click the play/pause button in the upper left hand corner of the previous shot. The screen changes to this:

One of the other nice features it has, I can assign favorite channels to what I watch most often. There are four screens of 6 channels allowing you up to 24 preset (if you will) stations to choose from. Clicking one of those will send the correct number code to the cable box and change the channel. No fumbling through the TV guide on the box! My friends can come over and select the channels without having to search for them (since most cable providers are different). There is a website that can be used to download images for each channel, so I pulled those and input them on the remote. Here is my "Sports" favorite channels page (I have the others set, but you don't need more pics to get the idea):

Now, since these pics are closeup of the remote, I took a shot next to my Xbox 360 controller for size comparison:

The remote features a user-replaceable rechargeable lithium ion battery. When not in use, the remote sits nicely in the dock and charges. It also makes a nice ornament for your setup:

Now, some might ask why I would need a crazy remote to do all this. Easy. It's all for the simplicity. I've got a lot of things connected to my TV/AVR, so it would be hard to keep track of which inputs everything needed to be set to. Look at these wires (I swear I tried to keep them clean, but there's just too many):

The remote communicates with the RF extender which then uses IR blasters that I have placed around my TV stand. The RF extender sits hidden behind the TV on the stand:

The IR blasters are small and are almost unnoticeable from a distance, unless you are looking for them. Here is the stand zoomed out a bit so you can see all the components. You can see the blasters if you zoom in enough and look for them:

Finally, one shot of the whole setup from a distance:

In closing, I must say that the Harmony One can basically perform all of these functions as well. The layout on that remote is more of a conventional stick. The only thing lacking in the One is RF. The Harmony 900 (I think) is almost exactly like the Harmony One but with RF, though I've read numerous reviews complaining about poor functionality. That is what drove me to the 1100. If you are looking for an excellent upgrade, I would strongly suggest the Harmony One unless you have the need for RF.

Also, the 1100 does have the "Ooh" factor. The RF functions very well and with no noticeable lag. I now leave my remote on the couch next to me and select what I need without worrying about the signal making it to my devices. It really is a great remote, but I'm not sure that I would spend the money to buy one at full retail. Unless, of course, my gear was in a rack in the closet and I needed something that would work without line-of-sight. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer as best I can.
Last edited by AppleBonker on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Otto.

Awesome setup. Good review.

Where are the IR blasters in the pic? I can't see them.

AppleBonker

Otto MCR wrote:Where are the IR blasters in the pic? I can't see them.
The pic that shows the stand has them on the base in front of the comcast box (silver box bottom left) and in front of the HD-DVD/Blu-ray players (bottom middle). There are a few more scattered about, but they're harder to see. If you click to view the full-size image it might be easier to see (in the zoomed out pic it looks kinda like a little redish spec). Crappy shots from my canon point and shoot.

Otto.

Ah. I thought that's what those were.

AppleBonker

They recommend sticking them to the IR receiver on the components, but I didn't want to have adhesive on them so I stuck them to the stand hoping they'd work. No issues yet, so I think I'm ok.

marlin29311
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35x

Adam posts giant pictures of awesome remote. Jealousy ensues.

Seriously, that's amazing. Even if you are techno-dumb, you could use this thing, and it would be easy as pie. And the IR blasters make this whole thing that much more amazing, especially in your setup where everything is below the IR line of sight. What a great piece of technology.

PS - you need to aim your center channel up more. You're hearing the off axis!

AppleBonker

marlin29311 wrote:Even if you are techno-dumb, you could use this thing, and it would be easy as pie. And the IR blasters make this whole thing that much more amazing, especially in your setup where everything is below the IR line of sight. What a great piece of technology.
Yeah, the only difficult part would be the software. It's not terribly complex, but until you get a feel for the layout it might be difficult to get everything controlled in a way that's easiest for you. Since I've been using it for a while, I'm fairly comfortable in the harmony software. I did the original setup on my parents' remote, but my dad just bought a new tv. He was able to figure it all out on his own to swap the tv controls out, so it can't be too complicated, even for those who aren't huge nerds like me.
marlin29311 wrote:PS - you need to aim your center channel up more. You're hearing the off axis!
It needs to come up a bit. I'm not terribly off-axis based on where my head is on the couch (but I can't aim it up much more because it starts to contact the tv stand). Unfortunately, the room isn't super conducive to the stereo. The surround speakers aren't far enough behind the listener either. I make due for now, and once I can afford a decent house that has a the layout I need, all will be well.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Can it control two TIVO's sitting side by side sending remote code 1 to one TIVO at the push of a button and send remote code 2 to the second TIVO at the push of another button just like the TIVO remote does?

Telcoman

AppleBonker

telcoman wrote:Can it control two TIVO's sitting side by side sending remote code 1 to one TIVO at the push of a button and send remote code 2 to the second TIVO at the push of another button just like the TIVO remote does?
It should be able to. I'm not sure how well it would work over IR, but with the RF extender it is possible to assign devices to a specific IR blaster. If you did this and attached the blasters to the unit (making sure that one Tivo got a blaster from port A and the other tv got a blaster from port B) it should work perfectly, at least as far as my research has shown. I don't have a pair of identical items to actually check the accuracy of this. If someone were willing to donate a duplicate of one of my components I'd gladly try though.

AppleBonker

After playing a bit more, I've got a little update. There is definitely a lag when running through RF. I didn't notice it before because I wasn't watching a DVRed show. When fast forwarding through the commercials, I have to hit play a bit sooner to not miss part of the show. It's minimal, but is definitely a difference that I noticed coming from the Harmony One. Also, the back light is set to go off after 10 seconds I think. When this happens, button pushes on the touchscreen don't register, they only turn the screen back on. Because of this, I have to tap play twice to resume the show at normal speed. It could be an annoyance for some, but I don't think it's enough to bring down the rest of the features this remote has to offer.

Return to “Around the House”