Remove front CV Axles from Nissan Fuga to make it RWD

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
jb2004
Car: 2004 Nissan Fuga 350GT

I have a 2004 Nissan Fuga that's 4WD from Japan. The Front Left CV shaft has somehow slipped out from the the housing and causes a rotating sound and then a loud clank when its totally disconnected. I've tried buying a replacement which had the same matching part# for the 2006 Infiniti M35 but the bearings on the inside were bigger and the rod for the shaft was also thicker.

Also while trying to remove the transfer case from the transmission the bolt got round up.

My question is: Will it cause any problems to the vehicle if i remove both front CV axles and turn the vehicle into a RWD?

macgiver

Fuga-etta-boutit , too much fabricating needed to make it work worthwhile, or at all :crazy:

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

You can certainly do this, but it won't just result in RWD and is likely to cause even worse problems than you've already got.

The AWD system in that car is an early torque-vectoring system, and it sends power to the front on-demand. Without the front axles, anytime power is sent forward, it'll be lost at best, or cause problems at worst. These systems use wheelspeed sensors, g-sensors, etc. to determine what's going on with the power and traction. With the front axles removed, it's obviously not going to see the behavior it's expecting shown in the data, so it'll probably freak out. What that will mean I can only guess, but probably some kind of failsafe mode for the AWD system which will affect the behavior of the powertrain on a larger scale.

EdBwoy

I'm a little late to the party, so you might have already made any moves you needed to make.

For others in a similar position or just plain curious, it can be done with no issues apparently - 2007-m35x-conversion-from-awd-to-rwd-by ... 23278.html

Return to “General Chat”