Relocate MAFS on KA/T?

Your premier source for information on the Turbo KA: KA24E-T and KA24DE-T (KA with aftermarket turbo kit)!
scotty-2-forty
Car: 1996 Nissan 240SX SE KA24DET

I've seen some KA/T's with the MAFS relocated just before the throttle body instead of in front of the turbo. What benefit(s) are seen; does it help stabilize idle? Is it worth my time and $ to pursue??

klattr1
Car: GT42R powered S14/KA

is your driveability and idleing bad right now?

scotty-2-forty

Yes, the idle keeps dropping off after lifting the throttle. I've been playing with e-Manage settings, adjusted my BOV, cleaned the TB, and checked vacuum leaks and pressure, but no luck yet.

klattr1

whats your vacuum like at idle?so one bov is recirculated and the other isnt?

scotty-2-forty

Vacuum at idle is around 16-18. I have the secondary BOV by the TB closed completely right now ... still same idle problems.

scotty-2-forty

Anymore thoughts anyone?? I'd love to hear from those of you who have the MAFS just before the TB.

klattr1

have u checked out your air fuel ratios at all at idle and how have u been setting your base timing (procedure)?Not tryin to discredit you but tryin to use process of elimination for helping you out.

GEO
Car: 95 240sx KA-T

scotty not to go off topic, but, is your beam obstructed by the eyelids?

Salty_X
Car: 1991 240sx Coupe

This is usually referred to as a blow-through MAF setup. It's no big deal for turbo motors with recirculated blowoff valves, but it can make a big difference for those who want to stay venting open-atmosphere.

With the stock MAF setup, whenever your blowoff valve vents it is of course releasing all the pressurized air in the system. The problem is that all that air has already been metered by the MAF and thus is compensated for by the ECU by adding more fuel. That will in turn create an overly rich condition which causes all sorts of idle-related issues like rough idle, backfiring, etc.

What the blow-through setup does is it places the blowoff valve before the MAF, so any air that is vented is properly metered, which keeps the driveability issues to a minimum.

It's not all golden though, as a lot of MAFs don't seem to like being used in a blow-through setup and have problems metering the correct amount of air. Another common problem is with intercooler pipes popping off where they attach to the MAF. For most people it isn't worth it to switch to a blow-through setup. The only person I know of who had one was Dennis from UnstableHybrids, and I remember he had to switch from a stock Ford Cobra MAF to the Granitelli version because the stock kept having problems...

Evil98Silvia

So Im guessing my Z32 maf wouldnt do to well then...

PMan_S13
Car: Building car -> breaking car -> fixing car -> start over

I've been using a blow through setup on my 240 for a few months now. Stock s13 maf. Runs fine.

The only real benefit I get is I can run an open bov as previously explained. I suppose you might get slightly better throttle response, but I didn't feel any significant improvement.

BTW, they say that the z32 maf with crack under boost pressure. That's what they SAY, but I've used a plastic s14 maf (similar casing) and it didn't crack at all. Of course, keep adding boost and eventually something will pop.

PMan_S13

As far as your idling problems go...

Sounds to me like your IACV is sticking. Either that or another of the idle control valves. You might need to take it off and spray some carb cleaner in there.

scotty-2-forty

klattr1 wrote:have u checked out your air fuel ratios at all at idle and how have u been setting your base timing (procedure)?Not tryin to discredit you but tryin to use process of elimination for helping you out.

I've played with the A/F settings via e-Manage, but haven't really messed with the timing since the last stage of dyno-tuning.

scotty-2-forty

GEO wrote:scotty not to go off topic, but, is your beam obstructed by the eyelids?

No, not at all.

scotty-2-forty

Salty_X wrote:This is usually referred to as a blow-through MAF setup ...

Thank-you for your in-depth reply. :)

Evil98Silvia

PMan_S13 wrote:I've been using a blow through setup on my 240 for a few months now. Stock s13 maf. Runs fine.

The only real benefit I get is I can run an open bov as previously explained. I suppose you might get slightly better throttle response, but I didn't feel any significant improvement.

BTW, they say that the z32 maf with crack under boost pressure. That's what they SAY, but I've used a plastic s14 maf (similar casing) and it didn't crack at all. Of course, keep adding boost and eventually something will pop.

Cracking is the only issue? I have back up MAFs so I should be good. Are there any other precautions? I dont see how there would be. Im just obsessed with my engine bay and the recirculation hose bothers me lol.

PMan_S13

well one other thing I've heard is not to remove the screen on the front or back of the meter. They are supposed to equalize the airflow just before it hits the sensor so you get the most accurate reading. S13 mafs don't have this BTW..

You should also use the same size piping as the meter itself. If you use bigger or smaller piping (especially just before the meter) you are more likely to have inaccurate readings, which is a lot of why you hear problems.

Projex240
Car: Dogs , My RIDE

im going to do a blow through once the car is running with the maf in as it should be. Then ill change it over to see if itll run like its supposed to.I am going to do ti so i can hear the bov for the most part--but also--i want to be able to run at the tracj\k with no piping on the compressor inlet. I will ut a screen over it, but itll let more air in with no restriction.

Thanks,

Josh

Projex240

BTW--whats the point of running two BOV's?Wouldnt one with the proper sizing be the best to gow iht? Do you get a performance gain out of it? Safety to not hurtthe compressor, etc?

-Josh

andrave
Car: assorted

it looks cool.

Projex240

lol

Projex240

wait--i just though about it--if you go blow through, youll have to take the second BOV off the piping. If you have BOV vent after the maf--youll go rich between shifts.

PMan_S13

The idea of running two BOVs is supposed to be so you have one for high boost and one for low boost.

For example, lets say you have a greddy type s which is easily adjustable between soft and hard. Well if you make it soft, it opens even at the slightest lift off throttle. Good for the turbo, not for spooling. The second you start to shift all the spool is gone. (or at least a lot of it) So you stiffen up the BOV. Now at the high rpm shifts you hear a nice blow off and you keep spool. But at low rpms and lower boost, the BOV won't open, so you get compressor surge. Good for spool, but bad for turbo.

The idea of two BOVs is to have one small BOV for low-rpm/normal driving and one large BOV for high-rpm/full-throttle driving.

That's the only way I've seen it done and why for a single intake motor. You'd think people could find a happy medium before spending twice as much and complicating an already complex system.

scotty-2-forty

Projex240 wrote:... Safety to not hurt the compressor, etc?

Bingo.
PMan_S13 wrote:The idea of running two BOVs is supposed to be so you have one for high boost and one for low boost.

For example, lets say you have a greddy type s which is easily adjustable between soft and hard. Well if you make it soft, it opens even at the slightest lift off throttle. Good for the turbo, not for spooling. The second you start to shift all the spool is gone. (or at least a lot of it) So you stiffen up the BOV. Now at the high rpm shifts you hear a nice blow off and you keep spool. But at low rpms and lower boost, the BOV won't open, so you get compressor surge. Good for spool, but bad for turbo.

The idea of two BOVs is to have one small BOV for low-rpm/normal driving and one large BOV for high-rpm/full-throttle driving.

That's the only way I've seen it done and why for a single intake motor. You'd think people could find a happy medium before spending twice as much and complicating an already complex system.
B-i-n-g-o. And actually, the "happy medium" is in finding the correct balance between the two. However, as I stated before, when trying to source the idle instability I temporarily closed off the secondary BOV ... but the issue remains. It's not like the car is undriveable, just more of a headache.

PMan_S13

did you ever check out those idle control valves?

Tictakman

bringin it back....

im thinking about using the blow thru setup myself. would i use the stock s14 maf without hacking it or anything? and just to make sure the order is the BOV to the Maf then to the TB. is that correct? also, is there any limiting factors that i would have to worry about if i use this setup. i have 370cc injectors, walbro pump, and a adjustable fpr. also have a wideband coming in the mail. the reason why im interested in this is bc i have a hks ssq bov and im worried a little bit about the rich/stalling problems.

Zak

PMan_S13

yeah, BOV goes between the MAF and the Turbo. I put mine after the turbo, but before the intercooler. So I won't blow off already cooled air.

There shouldn't really be any limiting factors that a pull through doesn't have. Just watch out for an aging turbo to spit oil on your MAF. Need to get some carb cleaner or alcohol and clean it off.

deezlins
Car: 95 240SX SE

wouldnt the temperature of the air being read be alot different between a pull-through and a blow-through?i mean that turbo heats up the air?just compensate with tuning or what?

PMan_S13

A Maf reads how much air passes through.. whether it is hot or cold doesn't matter. Hot air is thinner so it takes more cubic inches to equal the same as if the air was colder, but the maf will read the same amount of air regardless.

Tictakman

sounds good so far. so i would keep the stock s14 maf completely stock without changing it in any way? i wouldnt hack it at all? also, there is a temperature sensor that goes into the stock intake, what did or do you do with that?

Return to “KA24ET / KA24DET Forum”