Reliability of QX56/80, is it a ticking timebomb?

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
AODfan
Car: ???

So I am in the market to get a used 2011-2013, possibly 14-15 depending on price. I have been doing all kinds of research on which packages I need to get for what options I want, but the most glaring thing I read most of anywhere on these is the reliability being horrible and repairs being astronomical. I get it is a luxury vehicle and high repair bills will come, but from what I have read the timing chain and cats are the two top issues with these vehicles, from almost all years, but primarily the years I am looking at. Is the majority of people having these issues just a subset of owners or is it more widespread than that? I just want to make sure going in I am prepared for crap to break or look elsewhere for a massive SUV. Looking for a reliable family SUV, but I love the tech and luxury Infiniti brings. Thanks.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Believe I would look for newer models. At least above 14 to avoid the timing chain issues

adamruiz2001
Car: 2011 Infiniti QX56

I am currently selling my 2011 QX56. Mine has had the timing chain recall done, so no issue there. Haven't had any problem with cats like others have had concerns about. I had a few things go out while it was still under warranty (Air suspension, steering wheel and lift gate motor). I replaced the plugs and coils at 110K miles, and replaced the battery and starter last October. This has been a very reliable vihicle for my family. We actually just got back from a 3200 mile round trip for vacation, drove like a dream, and averaged 19 MPG. Don't be scared to pull the trigger on one of these beasts, just do your research and at least know the history of the vehicle your buying. Good Luck

-Adam

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

Not so sure I’d trust the older ones even after the timing chain replacement. Our ‘11 had it completed and still stretched and totaled the engine.

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”