Rejected smog test

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
parabeagle
Car: 1996 Nissan Hardbody

1996 Nissan Hardbody, man trans, 2.4L eng, 164,000 mi. Four test parameters read "not completed" on smog test. No ck eng light. Fuses are ok. New battery in 12/2010. Dealer says veh needs new ECM (for $689 + labor :lolling: ).

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

I'm not really familiar with smog tests, so what exactly does the 'not completed' thing even mean?

And $700? Screw that. Pull one out of a junkyard model and install it for free.

parabeagle

PEZi wrote:I'm not really familiar with smog tests, so what exactly does the 'not completed' thing even mean?
My understanding is that it means that when the smog analyzer machine "asked" the Engine Control Module (ECM) to test several emissions parameters on the veh (in this case, the OXY sensor, OBD catalyst, OBD Evap, and the OBD exhaust gas) , the ECM reported "not completed" because it was unable to get results or complete the test for some reason. According to the smog tech, usually nothing's actually wrong with the car or its emissions. :bang The DMV says that the usual reasons for reject are that the plug that allows the analyzer to be connected to the veh is not accessible, is damaged, or aftermarket wiring is present; that too many trouble codes have been recently cleared; or that the battery is weak, or was recently disconnected or recently replaced. None of this is the case with my veh. The usual "cure" for this problem is to drive the veh until the necessary "drive cycle" (time, speed and conditions) required for the monitors to report as complete is done. The DMV says this should take a week of normal driving. It's been almost two months! :gotme
PEZi wrote:Pull one out of a junkyard model and install it for free.
I thought of that. I was told that the ECM is usually encoded with the VIN, so it's matched to the veh. One smog tech said that the dealer can reprogram the ECM, though.

Buckshot

the vin is not in that ecu I would check my fuses all again and see if I can gain access to a scan tool and watch the srt that is the official ward a see if any set and if they do if they clear with key of and back on.

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

What are the 4 parameters that read incomplete?

parabeagle

corn322 wrote:What are the 4 parameters that read incomplete?
OXY sensor, OBD catalyst, OBD Evap, and OBD exhaust gas.

corn322
Car: 1993 240sx

Odd. Those should all have cleared after a 15 minute drive on the highway, or thrown a code.

parabeagle

Yeah, it's been frustrating. At one smog station. the tech claimed he ran some sort of diagnostic that said something about fuel and "open loop." At least I have some time to figure it out now because I managed to get a passing smog so I could renew the plates.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”