Redlining a 370z base 7-speed auto

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
troglodyte1979
Car: 2011 Nissan 370Z base Coupe Gun Metallic 7-speed Auto

I am new from the world of dodge challengers - I traded it in for a 2011 Nissan 370Z base model auto. I am not familiar with higher rev cars, so please be patient with me. :-) I was driving this on the interstate the other day and kicked the pedal in a little and it started to fly but I wanted to go a little faster so I pushed the pedal down even farther and I might have pushed it quicker than the auto could shift and it hit the redline for a few seconds and then shifted to a higher gear and the rpms came down. Is this normal for the auto to hit redline ? I was worried that I may have done something wrong. Any suggestions or comments ?

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

If you are saying the trans let the engine flare up in rpm while actually making the shift, you may have some slipping going on there.

If saying though that the auto simply delayed until the shift was made and the rpm was due simply to the delay in the shift occurrence, well, two different things.

A normally timed and executed ATX shift should happen pretty much with no rpm flare up at all.

troglodyte1979
Car: 2011 Nissan 370Z base Coupe Gun Metallic 7-speed Auto

Yes I believe it was your second suggestion - a delay in shift. I was jamming the throttle so quickly it seemed like the gear shift didn’t have time to shift. It seems like my auto challenger did the same thing when I had that.

CarGuy87
Car: 350z, G37s, M35s

The 7 speed Nissan automatics seem to prone to not finding the appropriate gear at times. It seems to me that you gassed it and the tranny didn't know what to do. I have seen this happen on my G37 7AT. At the age of the car I would probably drain/fill the ATF just to make sure you have fresh fluid in there it might help. (it didn't for me but I did it only once. Apparently you are supposed to do 3x drain/refill to get most of the old fluid out)

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”