redline gear oil for rb25det manual trans

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
HxC_Nismo
Car: 98' Nissan 240sx SE R33 RB26DET, 07' Nissan Titan SE, 05' Toyota Corolla

ive searched and couldnt find anything, but im about to fill up my tranny after running royal purple 75w90 and now i want to try redline 75w90 the question is should i use the hevyweight shockproof 75w90 or the lightweight shockproof 75w90 cause i drag race most of the time and my tranny did grind a little when i ran royal purple and ive heard that redline helps reduce grinding. but if you could help me that would be great. also does the rb25 trans hold 5qts of gear oil or was it 6qts cause i have to order the redline from summit.

HxC_Nismo

does anyone know?

300Plus
Car: 1995 S14 w/ Rb25det Series II

there is a thread on racebread about this. a bunch of guys keep posting about grinding gears but then we realized it was only happening with in the first 5 miles of the first drive of the day. and then we figured out we were all running redline shock proof heavy. It seems onces things get warmed up and sloshed around the grind goes away. But I live in Florida where it is 100+ degrees a lot of times and only gets down to about 89 at night and mine still grinds in the morning...

I'm considering going to light weight but I don't wanna break anything when those drag days come around?? I think Kamin was telling me he ran light weight?? don't remember

Joe

HOLY **** YOU RUN HEAVY?!

thats 240 WEIGHT OIL! no **** it grinds haha im surprised it shifts at all in the morning. that stuff is NOT for a street car transmission.

i ran lightweight shockproof in my RB trans and LOVED it. it was a little notchy when cold on a rare occasion but perfect when warmed up.

for a street car run super lightweight shockproof. its like a 90 weight. its great ****. my new trans takes ATF (yes, atf in a 6 speed manual) or id still be running it. im still running redline but not shockproof.

if you are concerned with the abuse youll put it through get lightweight instead of superlight. i put more abuse through my transmission with years of drifting than you guys will ever understand and never had a tranny problem

and i think it takes in the 4-5 quarts neighborhood. dont remember.

HxC_Nismo

thanks kamin i just wanted to double check before i ordered some. lightweight shockproof it is

HxC_Nismo

why does the lightweight shockproof show up as a 30w gear oil on summitracing.com?

Joe

its a 140 weight

http://www.redlineoil.com/prod...yID=6

Quote »A unique gear oil designed to lubricate racing transmissions and transaxles which see serious loads (not recommended for most syncro-type transmissions). It has excellent low-temperature flow which allows easier shifting when cold. May be used to obtain maximum power transfer in racing differentials which do not see high temperatures. Similar to a 75W140 gear oil, but with the lower internal friction of an SAE 30 motor oil.[/quote]im telling you tho, you dont need lightweight unless it sees HEAVY abuse on a regular basis. get super lightweight

300Plus

Kamin wrote:HOLY **** YOU RUN HEAVY?!

thats 240 WEIGHT OIL! no **** it grinds haha im surprised it shifts at all in the morning. that stuff is NOT for a street car transmission.
exactly I wanted 240 weight for my 240! lol no but after it warms up there is no grinds, better safe then sorry I guess. so you think superlight for street and light if you drag or drift alot? you never ran anything heavier then light?

like I said a bunch of guys are running it I've talked with. It takes sooo long for the fluid to transfer from the bottle to the tranny lol

Joe

dude your doing more damage to your trans in those first 10 minutes than you ever would running a little lighter weight. transmissions arent like engines, they dont need perfect, thick, smooth coats of oil. it just sloshes around in there.

i never ran anything higher than lightweight and NEVER had a problem with that transmission and i did way more abuse to that transmission than you do to yours lol

HxC_Nismo

well i race every weekend and i ran royale purple 75w90 gear oil in it prior and im thinking i should just run that again since its available at the part store. lucas just came out with there own line of gear oil and i was thinking of running that but i think im just going to run the lucas additive with royal purple and call it good. what do you think

StricNyne

i am in a similar boat, as what gear oil to run

s14kouki
Car: 1998 240SX SE

why not Redline MT-90? Also i believe it's about 3 quarts, i usually put in 3 and its right about level with the filler hole.

blurrbosi
Car: 240's

MT 90 for me. I need to put in more oil now that i think about it! lolz...

Shocker
Car: 89 240sxHB rb26/30

2 bottles of MT90 and 2 bottles of lightweight shockproof ftw.

and you can mix redline synthetic's its a fact.

FriedEGs
Car: 1995 SE, Roast Beef!!

I'm using redline MT-90 also.. great stuff!!

Joe

s14kouki wrote:why not Redline MT-90? Also i believe it's about 3 quarts, i usually put in 3 and its right about level with the filler hole.
mt90 is awesome (****, everything redline makes is awesome. i run water wetter, their engine oil, and their trans oil in my car. only thing i dont run it in is my diff because i CANT lol)

*I* ran shockproof because of those 80mph clutch kicks in 3rd gear. it provides a little more abuse protection than just the regular MT90.

the average person doesnt need that tho.

FriedEGs
Car: 1995 SE, Roast Beef!!

Kamin wrote:mt90 is awesome (****, everything redline makes is awesome. i run water wetter, their engine oil, and their trans oil in my car. only thing i dont run it in is my diff because i CANT lol)

*I* ran shockproof because of those 80mph clutch kicks in 3rd gear. it provides a little more abuse protection than just the regular MT90.

the average person doesnt need that tho.
this guy must be "above" average....

HxC_Nismo

well i drag race my rb26 240 and i now use a gizzmo launch interface and im launching at 4800 rpm underboost so im thinking 2 qts mt90 and 2qts of lightweight shock proof

DrifterProdigy85
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx (Zenki Onevia)

Im putting MT90 in mine tomorrow. I also run MT90 in my SR20 Trans and shifts great.

Cjmartz2k
Car: Hunting for a '89 GTR now

Mine doesn't grind cold, but when it gets hot it'll grind 4th sometimes. It's got Amsoil 80W-140 in it now. I know it's the synchro going bad--I was think of mixing the heavy in with MT90 till I can replace the tranny, but it's about impossible to get over here.

300Plus

Kamin wrote:dude your doing more damage to your trans in those first 10 minutes than you ever would running a little lighter weight. transmissions arent like engines, they dont need perfect, thick, smooth coats of oil. it just sloshes around in there.
Well when she is cold I granny shift , let the RPMs drop until she slides into gear, so should be no damage, but I agree I need to change to lightweight shock proof.

There are still a good amount of guys running the heavy tho.

Joe

FriedEGs wrote:
this guy must be "above" average....
im not "above" average. most of the people with RB swapped cars daily or street drive their car 95% of the time. thats why what i ran isnt necessary for the average person. my car has barely seen the street in the past couple years. whenever you build a car you go off the 90/10 rule. what are you going to be doing with the car 90% of the time?

and 300plus you need to tell those people to stop running heavy. you are only damaging your transmissions.

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”