Red Sport vs 3.0T with professional tune

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
manon407
Car: 2013 Nissan Maxima

Hi everyone! First post. I was thinking about picking up a Q60 next year and my friend said to save money by going with the 3.0T version then taking it to a professional tuner to get the 400HP claimed on the red sport. Is this true and can you do that? If not, why not and if not, I should just get the Red sport if I want the 400HP? Thanks.

strikemyrmidon
Car: Current:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport | Graphite Shadow

Past:
2008 BMW M3 | Melbourne Red
2006 Volvo S60 | Silver
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo | Basalt Black
1993 Mazda RX-7 | Vintage Red

Kinda sorta?

So there are VERY little changes between the silver sport and the red sport. The red sport comes 400hp stock - obviously - and adds a turbine speed sensors to the turbos - which allows turbine speeds up to 240,000 rpm - and an extra water pump. Is that worth the difference in price? Again, it depends. For someone like me, I don't really like to mess with my warranty so I just opted for the red sport. The powertrain warranty is something like six years or 70,000 miles. If you don't care about stuff like that then you can definitely go for the silver sport and just find a reputable tuner. There is currently one I can think of that provides a tune that's not off the shelf and won't run the car too lean and that's FABSPEED. I'm also a bit hesitant that tuners can use the turbine sensors that come with the red sport but we'll have to just wait and see. For me, I don't regret buying the red sport over the silver sport and enjoy the car thoroughly.

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

^ very good post.

I personally feel the Red Sport is priced competitively for what you get - you'll likely spend the cash you saved reliably getting the 300hp version to 400hp. Sure, there will be "cheaper" ways to do it, but I'd rather do it right so I can hammer on the car without worry.

Those speed sensors on the red sport version, to me, are worth it alone, as they help the car protect itself from any variations in boost (over/under) due to A/F mix among other things. The ECU knows exactly what the turbos are doing at all times and can adjust when needed to keep the car where it needs to be.

I have also found in my experience with Nissans that extra cooling doesn't hurt anything either, especially in a boosted car.

Nismoknights_Q60
Car: 2017 q60 3.0t

I did not think the red sport was worth it when I was deciding at the deal and I was right. The motor are the same except 2 minor things. I'm getting my custom lower down pipes installed that remove the 2nd cat on each side right now, and going to San Diego on the 20th for my 19 to 20 psi tune. 20 psi is max for these turbos. They are very small. The car should make a little over 500rwhp

rmyAddison
Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport

With a $60K car I want a warranty. Infiniti is OK with catbacks, but replacing the lower down pipes or any tuning and bye-bye warranty.

I love my RS400, fast enough for me..........

rmyAddison

With a $60K car I want a warranty. Infiniti is OK with catbacks, but replacing the lower down pipes or any tuning and bye-bye warranty.

Nismoknights_Q60

rmyAddison wrote:With a $60K car I want a warranty. Infiniti is OK with catbacks, but replacing the lower down pipes or any tuning and bye-bye warranty.

Lower down pipes, will not void warranty

Tune will, IF something happens

DKASM37
Car: 2018 Infiniti Q70 Hybrid
Hermosa Blue/Wheat Interior
Infiniti Sport Exhaust Kit
K&N Drop-In Filters

Was thinking about trading in my m37 for one of these this past weekend. Spoke to my tuner yesterday and he said there are no tunes available for either of those models yet. At least not through Uprev.

rmyAddison

Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:
rmyAddison wrote:With a $60K car I want a warranty. Infiniti is OK with catbacks, but replacing the lower down pipes or any tuning and bye-bye warranty.

Not according to my dealer, Sewell Infiniti Dallas, replacing lower pipes changes/eliminates 2nd cats and voids warranty. I think I'm going with Fast Intentions cat back, dealer will install, but they won't do lower pipes and said it voids warranty..........

Nismoknights_Q60

rmyAddison wrote:
Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:

Not according to my dealer, Sewell Infiniti Dallas, replacing lower pipes changes/eliminates 2nd cats and voids warranty. I think I'm going with Fast Intentions cat back, dealer will install, but they won't do lower pipes and said it voids warranty..........
I just got my lower down pipes from HPO1 and had them install them and the oem welcome lights

strikemyrmidon
Car: Current:
2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport | Graphite Shadow

Past:
2008 BMW M3 | Melbourne Red
2006 Volvo S60 | Silver
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo | Basalt Black
1993 Mazda RX-7 | Vintage Red

Can guarantee you that by removing and replacing the cats, the dealer and Infiniti NA will do everything to not honor their warranty. You'll have to take them to court and it's going to take a long a** time. Tune for sure is a no-no and can kiss your warranty good bye as well.

Getting the silver sport might have been a better option for those who didn't mind voiding their warranty and going for a tune but I don't know a lot of people on that side of the aisle. As I stated earlier, I'm going to enjoy my warranty and do potential mods after my power train runs out.

smola
Car: qx80 2015
Q50 2016 awd 3.0 premium
Corvette stingray 2014

Does It bring any power? On 2015 corvette catless x-pipe reduced power :)

RicerX

smola wrote:Does It bring any power? On 2015 corvette catless x-pipe reduced power :)
Because a Chevy N/A V8 is SO SIMILAR to a twin-turbocharged, direct injected Infiniti V6. You might be onto something here. :rolleyes:

smola
Car: qx80 2015
Q50 2016 awd 3.0 premium
Corvette stingray 2014

Borla and other claimed it adds 15 hp, dyno showed something else ( lt1 is DI engine). So I am not convinienced if removing 2nd cats without tuner adds hp.

Nismoknights_Q60

smola wrote:Borla and other claimed it adds 15 hp, dyno showed something else ( lt1 is DI engine). So I am not convinienced if removing 2nd cats without tuner adds hp.
Lol I take it you have not seen the stock exhaust system yet.. Man oh man the stock piping is small. Just with the lower down pipe I felt a big difference. I'm getting the upper down pipe this week or so.

My car made 396 rwhp spiking to 15 to 16 psi and holding 14psi with lower down pipes and cutouts

Upper down pipes and intakes should be on my car in a week or 2 and retune for 19.5 to 20 psi should be close to 500 wheel... I hope =)

PostalsQ

Waiting in anticipation for these numbers Nismoknights. She'll be a beast. I understand how some guys like to keep the warranty especially on a 60 grand car. But some guys like to party. LOL

Oh btw nismoknights, I've read somewhere that these turbos can push 24 psi. But that would be max. So the 18-20 psi sounds safer for longevity.

Nismoknights_Q60

PostalsQ wrote:Waiting in anticipation for these numbers Nismoknights. She'll be a beast. I understand how some guys like to keep the warranty especially on a 60 grand car. But some guys like to party. LOL

Oh btw nismoknights, I've read somewhere that these turbos can push 24 psi. But that would be max. So the 18-20 psi sounds safer for longevity.
Yes sir, I'm going to push this car to the limit, and then add some nitrous. My car is back at the shop right. Transmission cooler, mid pipe with cutouts getting installed. After that if they have time to finish the upper down pipes and intakes I will leave the car to finish that up. Then I will have the car retuned for Max boost, what ever that is.

I highly doubt even 21 psi. Another tuner that would have tuned my car but he's in Texas said the turbos stopped making power after 20psi. These turbos are tiny for a good reason, they didn't want it coming close to the GTR power range with minor Bolt ons.

Miker2017

Has anyone done the orangevirus remote tune? And does anyone else do a remote tune that someone can recommend?

PostalsQ

Nitrous? Damn!!! You like playing with fire. Well... Hope you don't hurt her

Why not water/methanol injection like Snow performance type companies. Think it'll be safer

Nismoknights_Q60

Miker2017 wrote:Has anyone done the orangevirus remote tune? And does anyone else do a remote tune that someone can recommend?
OV tuned my car in person, he will not tune past 16 psi..

DEP tuning out of Texas will soon do remote tuning and will go past 16 psi.. He will be coming to socal soon. If anyone wants to set up a dyno/tune let me know. He will be returning my car the same day.
There is only 3 People that have the software available that I know of. DEP tuning as a lot of years of experience.
PostalsQ wrote:Nitrous? Damn!!! You like playing with fire. Well... Hope you don't hurt her

Why not water/methanol injection like Snow performance type companies. Think it'll be safer
I still might, but it won't make that much more power. We can already max out these turbos on 91 Octane. Adding methanol will only let you advance the timing some more and gaining 10-15hp. 75-100 shot of Nitrous on the other hand will give you at least 75+ hp :crazy:

Miker2017

Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:
Miker2017 wrote:Has anyone done the orangevirus remote tune? And does anyone else do a remote tune that someone can recommend?
OV tuned my car in person, he will not tune past 16 psi..

DEP tuning out of Texas will soon do remote tuning and will go past 16 psi.. He will be coming to socal soon. If anyone wants to set up a dyno/tune let me know. He will be returning my car the same day.
There is only 3 People that have the software available that I know of. DEP tuning as a lot of years of experience.
PostalsQ wrote:Nitrous? Damn!!! You like playing with fire. Well... Hope you don't hurt her

I still might, but it won't make that much more power. We can already max out these turbos on 91 Octane. Adding methanol will only let you advance the timing some more and gaining 10-15hp. 75-100 shot of Nitrous on the other hand will give you at least 75+ hp :crazy:

Ok thanks........Can u post a link for DEP i cant find them on google.

Nismoknights_Q60

Miker2017 wrote:
Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:
Ok thanks........Can u post a link for DEP i cant find them on google.
It is DAP tuning out of Texas

www.DAPTUNING.com

Sorry for the misspelling, I wrote that very late at night.

PostalsQ

So if DAP won't tune past 16. I see bigger turbos in your near future. Wearing my fortune teller hat. LOL.

Miker2017

Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:
Miker2017 wrote:

http://www.DAPTUNING.com

They dont offer a remote tune, i talked to them today. I hope someone offers it by me soon so i can get it done in person.

Nismoknights_Q60

PostalsQ wrote:So if DAP won't tune past 16. I see bigger turbos in your near future. Wearing my fortune teller hat. LOL.

No, OV tune, will not tune past 16psi. DAP will and I'm sure there will be new tuning software out soon that will allow you to take your car to who ever you like anyways.

Miker2017 wrote:
Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:

http://www.DAPTUNING.com

They dont offer a remote tune, i talked to them today. I hope someone offers it by me soon so i can get it done in person.
Yea I know he told me he will offer it in a month or so. Where are you located?

Miker2017

Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:
PostalsQ wrote:So if DAP won't tune past 16. I see bigger turbos in your near future. Wearing my fortune teller hat. LOL.

No, OV tune, will not tune past 16psi. DAP will and I'm sure there will be new tuning software out soon that will allow you to take your car to who ever you like anyways.

Miker2017 wrote: They dont offer a remote tune, i talked to them today. I hope someone offers it by me soon so i can get it done in person.
Yea I know he told me he will offer it in a month or so. Where are you located?
New jersey......i wonder what the hell is taking so long for a widely available tune.....I'll do the remote tune if i dont have a choice but rather do it close to home incase something goes wrong.......alot of people seem to have problems with my car so I'd rather have the option of having a local place being able to flash it back to stock incase i have to bring it to the dealer.

RicerX

These are very new cars still, and the aftermarket is just starting to pique a bit. Give it some time.

I imagine Cobb is looking hard at these cars by now, so an AccessPort may come available soon. That would be sweet.

Just think - the 370Z came out in 2009, and the aftermarket is just now seeing some of the best tunes yet for that car come around for both n/a and boosted applications. I doubt it will take that long, but definitely no need to rush the quality stuff.

BlueSleeper
Car: 2017 Iridium Blue Q50 RS400

rmyAddison wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49 am
Nismoknights_Q60 wrote:

I just had a conversation with my service manager at Sewell Infiniti Houston. It seems the lower pipes do not automatically void the warranty. He made very clear that the dealer would have to prove the lower down pipes caused any maintenance issue. He expressed great doubt they would be able to do so with simple exhaust bolt-ons. It is not an endorsement, but it is far from "automaticly voided warranty."

rmyAddison

BlueSleeper wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:58 pm
rmyAddison wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49 am

I just had a conversation with my service manager at Sewell Infiniti Houston. It seems the lower pipes do not automatically void the warranty. He made very clear that the dealer would have to prove the lower down pipes caused any maintenance issue. He expressed great doubt they would be able to do so with simple exhaust bolt-ons. It is not an endorsement, but it is far from "automaticly voided warranty."
And my service manager, Sewell Dallas, said removing those cats does void warranty !!

Who knows, kind of stinks two service managers from Sewell provide different warranty information. Actually I will find out, I've bought 3 cars from Sewell Dallas, they treat me pretty good, and I will ask.

I'm not a racer/tuner and ended up going with the Infiniti branded Motorsport exhaust (not the straight pipes, too loud IMO for a lux sport sedan), and I like it. My dealer is on the way to some downtown Dallas spots and I'll stop by and see the service manager and "talk". I'll post what he says.......

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”