Red Faction: Armageddon

PC, Game console and Online gaming discussion forum
_b.jaye_
Car: '03 350Z

anyone picking this up? i played guerrilla a ton.

the demo was pretty fun, but i wasnt feeling the dank cavern thing in place of the open environments of its predecessor. this tech demo kinda revives some interest, but i could swear ive heard it be described as a much more linear game by even the developers, so..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I41DRJ4 ... re=related

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Remember that RF:G was the oddball Red Faction sequel. Of the now 4 games in the series, 3 are linear shooters and only Guerrilla is open-world. This is not RF:G 2, it's Red Faction 3.

I've been very impressed with it. My hatred for over-the-shoulder camera is easy to ignore considering the game's many strong points. The weapons are varied and fun, combat feels sharp, the blending of projectile weapon and melee combat is superbly slick, and the game shows a level of technical polish that's rare in these days of day-zero patching and buggy launches.

The best part of the game, though, is that the focus is as much on reconstruction as destruction. At first glance, it seems like a gimmick. But in practice, it WORKS in that special way that you see in things like HL2's gravity gun.

I don't miss RF:G's open world at all. I thought Guerrilla was terrible anyway; a game that professes to be about destroying stuff, but in reality goes out of its way to punish you for even thinking about destroying anything at all.
Armageddon really IS about destroying stuff, and about rebuilding stuff. You're rewarded for using the game's tools well, not punished for having a little fun.

The game also looks and runs beautifully on my rig. Slick, consistent framerate even at maxed settings and 1920x1080, responsive interface...like I said before, very polished technically. Even with large amounts of GeoMod destruction happening at once, there's never been so much as a hiccup.

Return to “Gaming”