Recovery Hook/Eye Bolt...can't find it!!

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
matt_a

Okay, this is very frustrating. There is a small white tab on the driver's side of the front bumper. If you take a screwdriver and carefully pop that tab out, there is a threaded hole in there. This is where you are supposed to screw in the eyebolt that you would use to pull the car if it was stuck in the snow or whatever (see owner's manual for picture and description of what I mean). The problem is, I can't freaking fing the eyebolt in our Versa! I have looked everywhere. I looked in the tool bag where the jack handle and lug wrench are, I have looked under the spare, and I have looked under the seats. Nissan has either hidden it really well, or I never got one. I tried the one out of my Scion (it was in with the lug wrench) but it has different threads so I can't use it on the Versa. Can anyone else tell me if you have yours and where in the car you found it? Thanks.

alonsorules8
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa Sl,HB

Matt_a, my versa didn't have one when I took delivery, it is suppose to be in your tool kit. You need to go to your selling dealer and tell them that is was missing when you took delivery and they will order on for you or will have in in stock an give it to you for free.

matt_a

alonsorules8 wrote:Matt_a, my versa didn't have one when I took delivery, it is suppose to be in your tool kit. You need to go to your selling dealer and tell them that is was missing when you took delivery and they will order on for you or will have in in stock an give it to you for free.
Lovely...we bought it from a dealer over an hour away and we've had the car for nearly two years. Oh well, I guess I can give them a call. It's a place to start.

I need that hook because we are going to be carrying two kayaks on the roof rack and I need to secure a line from the front and back. There is nowhere to connect a hook up front because it's all plastic. If I had that eyebolt it would be the perfect spot. Thanks for the reply!

Red Devil
Car: 1990 240SX w/t SR20 and 08 Nissan Versa SL

matt_a wrote:Lovely...we bought it from a dealer over an hour away and we've had the car for nearly two years. Oh well, I guess I can give them a call. It's a place to start.

I need that hook because we are going to be carrying two kayaks on the roof rack and I need to secure a line from the front and back. There is nowhere to connect a hook up front because it's all plastic. If I had that eyebolt it would be the perfect spot. Thanks for the reply!
Mine was in my glove box

matt_a

Red Devil wrote:
Mine was in my glove box
Sounds like yours was put in as a last minute afterthought. That's certainly not where you would expect to find it. BTW, I did look in the glove box too. No luck.

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Mine was just laying in the back area. It wasn't put with the tool bag or anything. It could have gotten lost in transit as well. They use the bolts to tie the cars down to the boat and train...in this case it would be a train for the Vs.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

I talked to my dealer today because I was missing mine also. They only come standard on the SL. You have to order it for any other model. P/N 51112 AC70A (Hook-FR Towing). ----------------------------------------------------

Ok, so I checked our design release system this morning about this. The hook is supposed to be in every USA model, and I believe Canadian also. I don't know why they are missing at the dealerships, but as many have said they should be in every car. I checked a few lease cars at the plant fresh off the train from Mexico and they are missing also. I am still trying to figure out why they are missing in the first place.

Everyone should go report this to their dealer if possible. You should have this part in your car. If not, good luck towing with the front. These hooks are unique to the Versa too. I though I could get one from an Altima or some other car but they are all different unfortunately.
Modified by Promise Land at 7:21 PM 4/9/2009

Knightro2
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Promise Land wrote:I talked to my dealer today because I was missing mine also. They only come standard on the SL. You have to order it for any other model. P/N 51112 AC700 (Hook-FR Towing).
That seems like BS to me. But who knows.

matt_a

Promise Land wrote:I talked to my dealer today because I was missing mine also. They only come standard on the SL. You have to order it for any other model. P/N 51112 AC700 (Hook-FR Towing).
Okay. Well first of all, we do have an SL so by that logic I should have gotten one. Second of all, that doesn't make sense. It's a safety/utility item. When it's pictured in the owners manual it doesn't say "opitional" or "SL model only". One should be in every Versa.

shiryu0
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa

lolol what a load of BS, they all come with one.........

the little hook was in the little bag in the back on our V.........

Stumpkin
Car: 2008 Versa S

Our 08 "S" Versa did not come with one. It seems that only the "SL" comes with it, as that is what I was told. I agree this is total "B.S.!!”.

I fought for one & won. In the mean time I ordered one and made my complaint for the cost I simply stated that it clearly shows it in the manual NOT AS OPTIONAL EQUIPENT or as IF SO EQUIPED.

I had to go as far as taking a picture of it in the owner’s manual & complain to the State Attorney General. Guess what once I went to the A.G. I was reimbursed for the cost. Really a shame the Dealer, Regional Customer Service Rep. or even the National Office couldn’t have stepped up and made it right. If only the SL gets it then Nissan of North America needs to reflect that in the Owners Manual. Until then fight for it, as its yours.

P.S. if you need my pictures & verbiage just e-mail me.

blindsnyper
Car: 2007 versa

i dont have an SL, but i have the hook.

Moghedian
Car: 2009 6-Speed S

Stumpkin wrote:Our 08 "S" Versa did not come with one. It seems that only the "SL" comes with it, as that is what I was told. I agree this is total "B.S.!!”.

I fought for one & won. In the mean time I ordered one and made my complaint for the cost I simply stated that it clearly shows it in the manual NOT AS OPTIONAL EQUIPENT or as IF SO EQUIPED.

I had to go as far as taking a picture of it in the owner’s manual & complain to the State Attorney General. Guess what once I went to the A.G. I was reimbursed for the cost. Really a shame the Dealer, Regional Customer Service Rep. or even the National Office couldn’t have stepped up and made it right. If only the SL gets it then Nissan of North America needs to reflect that in the Owners Manual. Until then fight for it, as its yours.

P.S. if you need my pictures & verbiage just e-mail me.
All that for a tow hook? Wow.

Stumpkin

Yup – All that for a tow hook!

It’s a matter of Principle (what’s right and what’s wrong).

The $58 bucks (cost at dealer plus S/H to me) wasn’t a big deal to me, but it might be to the next guy or gal.

Guess it all depends on what your tolerance level is for B.S.

Either it comes with one or it doesn’t! The manual says it has one, you paid for one you should get one. I might add without a hassle!

O life it’s always the little things that drive ya nuts!!
Modified by Stumpkin at 8:39 PM 4/7/2009

matt_a

Listen folks...Nissan Versas...ALL Versas, are supposed to have that hook. Period. It's an absolute necessity if your car is ever stuck somewhere and needs to be pulled from the front. There is no other place to attach any kind of chain without doing serious damage to the all-plastic front. Saying that it's "optional" is ridiculous. That's like saying that the jack is optional. This system of screwing a steel eyebolt into the bumper is not unique to the Versa or even Nissan. My Scion (Toyota) has it too and so do many other modern cars.

matt_a

**UPDATE**Well, I got my hook. I called the dealership where we bought the car (two years ago) and explained what I needed. I got a call back from one of the managers who tried to tell me that not all Versas come with that part. He offererd to order one for me at dealer cost of $30. I calmly and politely thanked him for his offer but explained to him that I wasn't going to pay for something that was supposed to come with the car. I pointed out that it is pictured in the owner's manual and it doesn't say "optional" or "certain models only". Besides, we have an SL. He agreed and ordered one for me at no charge. I picked it up yesterday.

shiryu0

uh oh........... i went to see the owners manual on our Versa.............

not only does it say 'if so equipped' for the front hook..............

it also says 'if so equipped' for the BACK hook..............

page 6-13/14 'in case of emergency' section..........

yeah...............WTF

matt_a

Hmmmm...that's weird. I see by your profile that your Versa is a 2008. We have a 2007. It's my wifes' car and I'm at work now so I can't look at her owners manual, but I'm 99% sure our manual doesn't say that. I could be wrong, but I don't think it does. Oh well, I got one either way.

kc5f
Car: Versa SL HB CVTs - 2008 (daughter), 2007's (both RIP). I'm now in a silver 2012, my son a silver 2015 Note, my wife a bright yellow 2016 Juke.

Nope, the 2007 manual doesn't have the "if so equipped" disclaimer.

matt_a

kc5f wrote:Nope, the 2007 manual doesn't have the "if so equipped" disclaimer.
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it did. Now it makes me think that Nissan realized they forgot to put one in thousands of cars. Instead of going through the expense of making it right, they just add "if so equipped" to the next years' manual. That's like saying, "If you are one of the lucky few who actually got one."

Stumpkin

Things that make you go crazy!! We have an 08 "S" our manual clearly shows the tow hook without the "if so equipped" disclaimer!!

The picture on 6-13 of our manual clearly shows the missing tow hook inserted into the front bumper (Wish I knew how to post pictures). Caption states: “VEHICLE RECOVERY (towing a stuck vehicle)” The statement “if so equipped” is not found for this tow hook anywhere in our owner’s manual.

So it seems to me in order for Nissan of North America save some cash they stopped putting the tow hook in the V at some point. If your book shows it, fight for it. If your book states "If so equipped" guess your out of luck.

However, I found a picture of the complete tool kit on-line: The part is called Tow-Hook, Front # 62680Z. The whole kit is called Versa (C11X) 995 Tool Kit all Models [AO1]. Yup - That's right ALL MODELS!! Why would a company cut a safety part??

Like I said - Things that make you go crazy!!

matt_a

Personally, I think Nissan messed up somewhere and this part was supposed to be in every vehicle. It makes absolutely no sense at all for it to be in some cars but not others. If you ever need it, there is no other way to pull the car from the front without doing serious damage.

shiryu0

wow, yeah just Nissan covering their rear for something gone wrong...........

ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

Just checked the manual for my 08 S model and it doesn't say if so equipped. I have the back one, and the spot in the front bumper is there, with the threaded hole behind the plastic piece and everything, but no hook in my car. Going to talk to my dealer and see what the dealio is.
Modified by ADOversa at 5:52 PM 5/4/2009

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

FWIW, when we bought our 2007 SL the hook was on the dealer checklist they use when delivering a new car. The salesman had to go in to the parts counter to get it. Apparently they had a problem with missing hooks so they just stockpiled extras and had me initial the checklist verifying that the salesman handed it to me. We put it in the tool kit together.

robj80
Car: 2014 Frontier
2011 Rogue

2009 versa manual has the "if so equipped" and what a surprise my 1.6 didn't come with a tow hook.

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

This afternoon I went to my Nissan dealer about missing Tow Hook for my 3 days old 2009 Versa SL HB. Those guys were telling me BS stories, like nowaday a tow truck comes with it, I told him if I want my Versa out of my drive way, then I should call a tow truck. In the end they order one for me. The Tech-man said only Rouge, Murano and GTR come with them which is true or not.

ADOversa
Car: 2008 Versa S 6MT Hatch, 2005 Chevy 3500 LWB

Update... I left messages with a 3 different people at my dealer about this, noone bothered to return my calls. You'd think they'd at least try to BS me or something to save face.

mdamatas
Car: 2009 Nissan Tiida Hatchback 1.6L

I have a 2009 Tiida, but I received the tow hook in my glove box... I also have the one in the back of the car. (My Tiida doesn't have all the extras, so I think is not SL-like).

It should definitely be included with the car, otherwise the car shouldn't even have the hole in the front... (They should include it already with the car chasis, like the one in the back, it would avoid all this BS from them)...

tikus
Car: Rogue SL AWD Carbon Silver

Update...just got my 2009 Versa HB SL tow hook. Versa and Rogue tow hook threads are not the same, I compared them which happen I own a Nissan Rogue.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”