HELP! Recommended OBD 2 Scanners for Nissan

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
malibumarlin
Car: 1997 nissan pick-up xe king cab KA24E 5.spd 214,000 mi and counting!

I've been shopping for a OBD II diagnostic scanner for under $100 - $150 max. I need it to read codes for my 1997 Nissan XE King Cab Truck. Engine Type = KA24E.

But in general, I would just like to know what everyone has experienced with their scanning units, what you would recommend I buy for my nissan, but would also work on say my wifes 2005 Mazda 3, and/or other imports like Honda and Toyota. No need for domestic cars. There are so many types out in the marketplace, that it is so difficult to determine what the best choice would be. Experience goes a long way. That's why i'm hoping this forum will help me decide.

So what is the best choice for the money to simply read the manufacturer/general engine codes. ABS and SRS codes i see are available on some units, but they get horrible reviews.

I am a DIY type that simply needs to diagnose my check engine light, which is related to a fuel injection or electrical engine sensor issue I'm currently experiencing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

the converted
Car: 99 M3 6.0l
88 Celica All-Trac (somewhere in Cali)
2020 Taco

What do you have for a phone? I have an android phone and use a PLX Kiwi. Works great, and even datalogs some of the basics.

malibumarlin

Today I ordered the: Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner with Live, Record and Playback Data Capability for OBDII Vehicles. It'll be here tomorrow. I give it the rundown on my check engine light/engine trouble situation on my own truck. This should be interesting.

malibumarlin

Well, I took the time to read the manual cover to cover before using the tool. Glad I did. Once i hooked it up and ran the diagnostic, all of 1 minute, the Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner gave me the answer to my engine problem. It displayed a P0301 - Cyl. #1 misfire, P0100 - Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit, and a pending code of the same.

Figuring that the misfire was a direct result of the MAF sensor failure, I checked it out, and bingo! there was my problem - a broken wire at the MAF sensor connector. So by using the scan tool, I was able to identify the engine problem fast. Fixing the problem took some time because connector parts are not easy to locate, let alone buy. And where the wire broke, didn't leave enough to make a splice. But, like MacGyver (80's tv series), I fixed it with what I had available to me in the garage.

What I also like about the Equus 3130 Innova Diagnostic Code Scanner is the live data scan. Using this tool along with the service manual, I can run drive test patterns, and based on the output data parameters, I can determine the "health" of the various sensors. For instance, the values of the short term fuel trim at specific rpm's, one can determine if the O2 sensors are functioning properly.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”