Recommended Cats and Cat Back system for '05 350z

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
cfauvel

So my car was a NJ car and it appears the salted roads has wreaked havoc on the exhaust system (lives in FL now).

I just recently hear and feel a resonance around my feet and feel a good amount of heat around my shifter boot......so I'm guessing there are some exhaust leaks.

The y pipe's flex covering is literally rusting away and the metal heat shields around the cats are rusting away.

So my questions to you guys are as follows.

What/who do you recommend for a cat back system that keeps the sound close to stock sound?...I prefer the lower growl of the stock Z, rather than the raspy high pitched sound the kids like to sport. I've seen some pretty cheap all stainless systems on ebay.

What/who do you recommend for hi-flow (functioning) cats? Not looking for 'test' pipes....I want real cats.

and whilst we are there, headers? Would you all go with stainless steel too?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I replaced the stock system on my 35th Anniversary Z with the Invidia Gemini. I've got zero complaints. They're about the same sound level as the stock system, but I think the Gemini has a better tone. If you opt for rolled stainless tips it even looks a lot like the stock setup too. Oh, it also sounds amazing when you're deep into the throttle. There are plenty of clips on YouTube you can check out.

Best of all, I don't think you can beat it in the bang for the buck department.

EDIT: Can't help you out with cats, I'm running stock ones.

cfauvel

BusyBadger wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 pm
I replaced the stock system on my 35th Anniversary Z with the Invidia Gemini. I've got zero complaints. They're about the same sound level as the stock system, but I think the Gemini has a better tone. If you opt for rolled stainless tips it even looks a lot like the stock setup too. Oh, it also sounds amazing when you're deep into the throttle. There are plenty of clips on YouTube you can check out.

Best of all, I don't think you can beat it in the bang for the buck department.

EDIT: Can't help you out with cats, I'm running stock ones.
Thanks for the reply. I see some on ebay that are pretty reasonable. like
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIT-2003-2008-N ... 1438.l2649

not looking to spend in the 800+ range.

would you go true dual exhaust or after market single pipe that is like the original ?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

I'd go true dual.

That eBay exhaust looks like an HKS replica. Those can be hit and miss. The design is great, HKS did a good job with the R&D...and that's why companies that copy the design can offer them for cheap, they didn't have to do any work on the front end development. The problem is with how much quality they use in making them as well as what materials they choose to use.

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”