Recommended audio improvements for 2012 G37 sedan Bose sys

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
Rposner
Car: G37 Journey

Newbe here...

Just bought a 2012 G37 Sedan with the Bose sound system. I'm not an aficionado by any means, but my ears work. And the sound quality is not that great. Are there any low cost mods that will make a real improvement in the sound quality? I'm not looking to gut the system or to spend a lot of money, but want to know what can be done for low cost.

Thanks in advance for responding!

2012 G37 Journey Sedan
Navigation + Premium package

Southern
Car: 2013 Infiniti G37 Journey Coupe w/Premium and Navigation packages

I don't think you can. Of course a lot would depend on what you mean by Low Cost. As the ex owner of a TV and stereo shop and a music listener for years ( Ihave a Tuner/preamp/amp that are restored Marantz classic from the 70s,and their source is an IMac running iTunes for everyday music and a VPT Scout TT all feeding into Martin Logan ESL speakers.) The turntable cost me $1600 without a cartridge, that was another $1600. All I am trying to say is that I know a little bit about sound.

This Bose system is not a very high end offering. But it is still a premium system.
On a premium system like this, it CAN be improved, but not on the cheap.

Here is a review of the top systems in cars... The Levinson is the best I personally have heard and is superior to the Bose.
But don't lose track of the point that the Bose is AT LEAST a mid range system and you don't improve mid range systems with cheap components.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/c ... d-off.html

Bottom line go to settings and make the Bose sound the best it can for your ears....or take $3000/10,000 down to a high level car audio shop.

Rposner
Car: G37 Journey

Southern - I appreciate the counsel. This is sort of what I expected. If I want to make a qualitative difference in the sound, I'll need to spend some bucks to do it.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Yeah, sedan sounds MUCH worse than the coupe. My '08 coupe with Bose FAR surpasses the '08 G35s and Q50 Bose systems we have had. I've never really figured out the difference besides the larger rear cabin and somewhat different speaker location in the rear.

The tweeters are 4ohm so you should be able to upgrade those and the 3" door speakers may be 4ohm as well (I don't remember). The door mid-woofer is either 1 or 2ohm (as will be the rear woofers)....Some research will pull that up. I think I tested the Bose speakers that I had in my Maxima and they were around 1.7ohm. My recollection tonight is kinda dim :(

FlipSwitch
Car: 2011 G37x Coupe

From what I've read and researched, audio mods on the G series are quite a task. But, if you know a lot about what you're doing or can find a reputable shop who is willing to do the work (and you're willing to pay for it) go ahead!

I'm an audiophile and spend a lot of time in the car. I don't mind the Bose at all. Maybe add an amp or subwoofer for more bump, if that's what you're looking for. But make sure all the power works together.

Thinc2
Car: 2015 Q60 Limited

Interesting to hear the difference between the coupe and the sedan. The Bose in my coupe easily blows away the sound system in our 2015 Lexus RX350. As in no comparison... (not sure if we have the upgraded system in the Lexus though).

I am very happy with the Bose in the coupe - I've actually started listening to more classical music as a result because I enjoy it so much.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Wife loves the sound in the coupe and noticed the differences right away.

flyng_fool
Car: QX56

audtatious wrote:Yeah, sedan sounds MUCH worse than the coupe. My '08 coupe with Bose FAR surpasses the '08 G35s and Q50 Bose systems we have had. I've never really figured out the difference besides the larger rear cabin and somewhat different speaker location in the rear.

The tweeters are 4ohm so you should be able to upgrade those and the 3" door speakers may be 4ohm as well (I don't remember). The door mid-woofer is either 1 or 2ohm (as will be the rear woofers)....Some research will pull that up. I think I tested the Bose speakers that I had in my Maxima and they were around 1.7ohm. My recollection tonight is kinda dim :(
Just a point of order here. You can't test the impedance of a speaker by putting an ohmmeter across the terminals. Impedance and resistance are two different things. Impedance varies quite a bit throughout the frequency response range of the driver, so manufacturers give you an avg impedance over the range the speaker reproduces.

audtatious

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”