Recommendations for removing light scratches on windshield?

From wax to washes, the Detailing Forum should be used for questions and ideas concerning exterior and interior cleaning and appearance
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

My son is kinda upset that he used a kitchen sponge (with a scratchy surface too) to remove bugs from his windshield and side windows on his 15 year old BMW. Needless to say, the resulting scratches and haziness is not something he can live with - particularly when driving into the sun.

I am hoping an optical-grade Cerium Oxide polish with a felt pad and drill mount will help remove these scratches without damaging the glass further (damn expensive to replace!).

But, I am not an expert here, so would appreciate advice and recommendations.

Thanks much!

Z

macgiver

Why not price out professional / mobile windshield buffer , couple of bids . And if you have them do just the front , 1) they'll get it right or don't get paid , 2) picking their brains and/or observing their "products" AND their tools and work procedure NOW you or son can do it best yourselves on any other SIDE windows , you know.
But the front , your right will show ALL THE CRAP and must be right! Ought not to be too expensive , you say "Light scratches" , stress that when you solidify a price ONLY after they actually see this "LIVE & IN COLOR" . :lolling:

Tip: I don't know what SPAM sponge is , they won't either ? And probably use that against you in $$$$$$$ saying how F#&%#$d - up that is your super-bad scratch you did .Don't mention it . What's a SPAM sponge ??

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

It might be worth trying some Barkeeper's Friend to see if that helps.

Larz
Car: 2019 Q70-L RWD

Without being able to actually see how deeply the glass is marred, I would recommend an actual glass polish from Chemical Guys or Griot's Garage with their glass polishing pad and a buffer. The polish should fill the scratches and also thoroughly clean the rest of the surface. Since windscreens are laminate, you have to be cautious how deep your polishing goes.
TEST: rub your fingernail over the scratch. If you nail 'grabs' into the groove, it's doubtful ANY product will be able to remove the scratch.

macgiver

Keep a few things in mind , how we've ALL tried things where a little out of our league , spend initial $$$$$$ beaucoup money and THEN find us-selves two steps fwd but four steps back . 1) Window polish (pro job)(done right) has got to take at least 2 or maybe 3 progressive course/cutting pastes , 1st "cut" may need highspeed rotary / Pro-pad , next different pad , next needs the proper orbital with an expensive sheepskin - whatever , 2)ONE small bottle even of the proper stuff 1st cut ( that's 1 of 3 !!!) is probably costs $$45 + . 3)Then proper EXPENSIVE equipment - you have , no you don't have. THEN ther'es technique / skill / experience / pro-know how , if that there's within you , you would'nt have posted :rotflmao

Tip: SPACE Age paints , Mesa AZ - Great for auto body EVERYTHING . They will tell you straight , just tell them what you want to do , they suggest stuff ,give prices .Selling supplies and FREE KNOWLEDGE.
But I've been there , and after they laugh ( justifiably) at what I've wanted to tackle - like others- and often when I hear from them the pandora's box or can of worms I'm about to open , THEN I many times "break down " and just pay the experts to do an expert job , w/pro equipment & supplies etc.etc.Of course times I do purchase and tackle a job.
I remember one time I had spent close to $100 on ONE item to try something out of my league , later to learn I really needed (to do proper) ANOTHER $$$200+ !!! Give like a SPACE AGE paint a call - see how much supplies $$$$ this will take using proper stuff if you may . Good luck.

macgiver

What happened to me today - a little 1/4 " pebble off a dirt hauler hit & bounced my windshield ! Ah now right near the other two chips there , and right in " line o sight' , DYNOMITE !!!

I just realized ,...I have NO DEDUCTIBLE FULL GLASS COVERAGE in my comprehensive circlejerk Ins policy.

Double spaced here so you can read between the lines :dblthumb:

szh

"SPAM sponge" ... I got caught by our brand name filter, I think. :lolling:

It is the standard yellow and green k-i-t c-h-e-n sponge made by "3 M" (without the spaces or dashes). It is quite rough on the green side. Darn spam filter converted the simple word "k-i-t c-h-e-n" to SPAM - silly tool.

Anyway, we are going to contact a professional detailing place to give us an estimate.

Thanks anyway!

Z

szh

Larz wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:26 pm
TEST: rub your fingernail over the scratch. If you nail 'grabs' into the groove, it's doubtful ANY product will be able to remove the scratch.
Luckily, they are very, very light ... cannot feel them at all - let alone catch a fingernail! Just a sort of haziness due to the light bouncing off is how we "see" them.

We will check out a professional and see what they have to say.

Good thought about the laminate on the glass ... will check for that.

Thanks,

Z

macgiver

That "easy way " just donned on me there with a Little Rock - not Arkansas - cause here in AZ Everyone thats got decent coverage ends up getting new windows probably Avg. - every three years - I do . Here the desert has the flying rocks ,pebbles and dust clouds - murder on paint , windows and PLASTIC headlamps ?? :cry:

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I honestly would look at windshield replacement if it’s covered under the policy on the car. A detailer is going to charge you a pretty hefty chunk to polish that glass because it’s a pretty labor intensive process. I’d probably charge $200-300 minimum to get them out.

szh

Kompresshun wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:49 am
I honestly would look at windshield replacement if it’s covered under the policy on the car. A detailer is going to charge you a pretty hefty chunk to polish that glass because it’s a pretty labor intensive process. I’d probably charge $200-300 minimum to get them out.
Unfortunately, the cost of the front glass for his car is a bit insane for some crazy reason!

We are going to check out a professional detailer who can polish the glass. It is very light scratches, and I am almost certain I could do it myself with some cerium oxide and a buffer ... but safer to get somebody with experience.

Z

carldu
Car: 08 Titan

Polish it using CarPro's CeriGlass product.

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Kompresshun is right. Glass polishing isn't for the faint of heart or light of wallet. Glass is hard - you know this.

Truthfully, I'd put a rock through the window, file a comprehensive claim and get a new windshield.

Then, host a car wash clinic for the young man and stress the importance of using the appropriate tools. :) That's a Dad job!

Michael370Z
Car: Nissan 370Z

Find a professional or a detailer who can remove scratches from the glass. It's never easy to do it yourself. Glass is hard and if you apply too much pressure it is also sensitive to heat that might break the glass. A professional has the right tools to do this job.

Return to “Detailing Forum”