Recommend an OBD-II scanner?

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

Hi, all.

Anyone have a recommendation for a relatively simple, low-cost OBD-II scanner? I did a search and did not see any specific model recommendations. I do not want extensive diagnostics, but do want to be able to figure out what is causing a CEL to come on ... my wife's Acura 1997 2.2CL just started showing this and all the obvious stuff seems fine. Car is running fine, but I want to make sure I know the cause.

I am looking at the CodeScout from http://www.autoxray.com but figured I would ask the folks here at NICO first ...

Z

szh

Here is another possibility http://www.autotap.com/autotap_all_products.html. Works with a laptop.

Comments? Thoughts?

Z

fatboy
Car: s13

learn to read it manually. my personal scantool is a snap-on modis. it wasnt cheap at all

hannibal
Car: Red Line to Glenmont

Just a heads up...I dont think you guys have AutoZone on the west coast, but they will read codes for free. Maybe a local parts store chain offers the same service.

szh

IWannaS15 wrote:Just a heads up...I dont think you guys have AutoZone on the west coast, but they will read codes for free. Maybe a local parts store chain offers the same service.
This worked for me! Local Autozone had a reader that gave me the info. It does not do any other diagnostics, but did give me enough information to track down the issue.

Regardless, I am a geek and want to get something fancier. The more I read about the Autotap unit, the more I like it! I think a future birthday present from my wife is needed!

Z

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”