Recently Aquired 91 Q45, a Couple of Questions!

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
jkino114
Car: 91 infinity q45

Bought it from my friend who got it from an elderly lady who maintained it meticulously.The engine has been removed but is with the car but we are not sure what is wrong with it, if anything. I got the car for a couple hundred dollars, the interior is in mint condition except for the drivers seat is starting to crack. The body and the paint are flawless, it's on some dumb wheels but that doesn't really matter. Sorry, to the question already...What should I do about the engine? Preferably I'd like to start fresh with a new engine, but is it possible to get any use out of the existing engine parts, I think the odometer reads like 160, somewhere around there. Sorry long post but I'm excited I fall in love/get scared with/about this car everytime I read someting else about it, and I would love to make a project out of it, I've got big dreams for it. Your community expertise about this car would be much appreciated. Thanks

lino
Car: 1991 Q45a Fed-Spec, IQP/White, Texasoil 9 Accumulator Recharge, '93 TCU 1st Gear Start, JWFSB, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, BBS Forged Wheels, DRLs, Silverstars, Tint, Very Well Serviced.

First of all, congratulations on your new acquisition. My opinion would be to start by asking the previous owner why they had the engine removed to see if you can have an idea as to what might have gone wrong. There are many knowledgeable and extremely helpful people here that together will help you get your Q back on the road. By the way, do you know if your Q is a "T" or "A" model? You can post your VIN if you want to find out.Welcome to the Club!

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Welcome in!

For a quick guess, try reading the Timing Chain Guides article in Infiniti Articles.

Then look for posts by Q45tech on replacement engines and see how to choose and rehabilitate JDM takeouts.

If you are real handy and have all the tools, should be able to get back near OEM as new specification for $5K - $7K if you buy parts from sponsor.

I assure you you will need more than the engine replaced due to age.

Only 160 miles? Wow!

Modified by maxnix at 3:23 PM 2/21/2006

nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

1st welcome. you've definitely found the right spot for your questions being answered. need more info though,,,why was the engine removed?? with that year Q, the obvious first thought is the chain guides. find out what happened to the engine.

jkino114
Car: 91 infinity q45

Hey thanks for the responses. I just talked to him and he said that before he pulled it, he drove it to his house but there was an increasing knocking in the motor, and I don't think he researched it or knew what to look for, or had any knowledge of the timing chain guide issue. He's an overconfident mechanic, who really I think wanted to just take it apart and put it back together again out of whimsy. Oh its got 170k on it. Sounds like what you guys are talking about with the timing chain guides maybe.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Or worse. Do the research on JDM takeout selection and rehabilitation.

You probably have him pegged.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”