Recent MAF and Throttle body cleaning.

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
Mr_Q45t
Car: 1995 Ivory Pearl Q45t

I just cleaned out my throttle body and MAF today. For the throttle body, I used the Valvoline Syn blend carb and throttle body cleaner.

I did not know this carb cleaner is a wicked paint remover, so be careful if you let it drip down your engine block...the silver paint will start to bubble!

The MAF seemed to be pretty clean, but I applied a generous amount of electrical parts cleaner to it.

I also installed my vortex valve... I know, I know, frowned upon. But a little testing never hurt - already paid for it before becoming an englighted member of NICO.

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Good deal!!! Even though I dont have high hopes, let us know how it works for you.

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

I am interested in your opinion of the vortex thingy as well.

I have heard that the carb cleaner can be harsh on the coatings on the inside of the plenum and throttlebody. I always use throttle body cleaner.

Mr_Q45t

elwesso wrote:Good deal!!! Even though I dont have high hopes, let us know how it works for you.

I will do that, just got a full tank of gas. I'm curious as to the results myself...

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Jeff Williams wrote:I am interested in your opinion of the vortex thingy as well.

I have heard that the carb cleaner can be harsh on the coatings on the inside of the plenum and throttlebody. I always use throttle body cleaner.
what coatings??? its just metal!

Ozzie
Car: '90 300ZX twin turbo - 2 seater
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S twin turbo
'06 MK5 Golf tdi

But how will you know if the vortex charger thingy is actually doing anything?

What if the differences you notice (If any) come from cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor?

I would do a couple of tanks with the vortex charger off.... record the results THEN put it on and see if you notice a difference in fuel consumption.

Mr_Q45t

ozzie! wrote:But how will you know if the vortex charger thingy is actually doing anything?

What if the differences you notice (If any) come from cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensor?

I would do a couple of tanks with the vortex charger off.... record the results THEN put it on and see if you notice a difference in fuel consumption.
The MAF and throttle body both seem pretty clean, nothing like the throttle pics on q45.org

Jeff Williams
Car: 1994 Q45t, 2000 I30t, 2004 M45, 71, 72, 73, 82 & 2000 Corvettes

elwesso wrote:
what coatings??? its just metal!
I have heard that some automotive manufacturers coated the inside of the plenum to help reduce the amount of buildup. I have laso heard that carb cleaners will eat away that coating. That is why I thought there is a difference in carb cleaner and throttlebody cleaner.

Mr_Q45t

Jeff Williams wrote:I have heard that some automotive manufacturers coated the inside of the plenum to help reduce the amount of buildup. I have laso heard that carb cleaners will eat away that coating. That is why I thought there is a difference in carb cleaner and throttlebody cleaner.
The stuff I used was Carb/Throttle body cleaner in one. I see what you mean though, if there was a coating inside the throttle body, using this stuff would be bad news.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

No coatings just metal.

Years ago I discussed how one would measure the effects of any changes prior to throttle body by measuring the pressure inside the plenum.

When the throttle is wide open the atmospheric pressure [inside plenum] is less than outside.........the closer the pressure is to the real current barometric pressure at that location the less frictional losses are prior to the measurement point.

An accurate manometer will tell you everything to a 1/100 of a percent accuracy. An oem plenum measurement will see miniscule effects of every component. The MAF losses are the most significant.

Everything added together will be less than 20" water column.20/28=0.71 psi or ~~ 4.8%..................unfortunately you need the MAF and the TB to function so everything else is only 1.5% or just at a third of total restriction.

Not much to work with to try to raise efficiency.

Amazing that people cannot fathom that engineers would use every trick in the book to improve MPG on a car since their company pays taxes on every mpg that does't meet 28.5 mpg.

If I could improve the mpg by just 1 mpg I'm sure I could demand a few million is compensation maybe $10 million from each manufacturer and probably win the Noble Prize in Chemistry.

As I would save US drivers $14 Billion dollars per vear.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Damn, Q45tech, spoiling our illusions with facts again!

nuQ
Car: 2003 M45.
2009 Dodge Caliber SXT

IS IT JUST ME OR IS Q45tech THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!!!! We can all go on forever with just hear-say and opinions but he reduces it all to facts and science. I love ya Dennis,,,,keep it up,,,,,,you keep us all from spending money on stupid, unproven and totally bogus "theory's".

PopPop
Car: 1990-91 infiniti Q45's, S13 Coupe, 3rd GEN. Max

Jeff Williams wrote:I have heard that some automotive manufacturers coated the inside of the plenum to help reduce the amount of buildup. I have laso heard that carb cleaners will eat away that coating. That is why I thought there is a difference in carb cleaner and throttlebody cleaner.
Jeff Q45 most likely do not use the protective teflon type coating on Throttle Body chambers. Your 100% correct about some automotive manufactures using a protective coating to prevent dirt and carbon build up! Ford is one of those manufactures that use that coating on their T.B. chambers. If you look they have a warning label on the TB exterior saying warning TB has a protective coating DO NOT clean. I know it has a warning label on it saying do not spray chemicals or something to that nature on TB chamber. That's why there's a thing called a Intake Snake! You never see a tech actually spray inside of the TB. They either use a Intake Snake or cotton ball cleaning tool! They use these on TB's with or without the protective coating. Before someone says otherwise look at a Ford Expedition TB on top side area of TB. I bought my Intake Snake a long time ago! You can refer to http://www.intakesnake.com if you want to purchase one but, only recommended for persons who do car work on a regular basis!

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Bringing in other brands and comparing to Nissan just confuses the situation. {I do this myself using Lexus as examples but these are more related}..........than some domestic

We are attempting to provide information useful to specific engine families.

Most of these domestic brands won't be around much longer anyway.http://www.blueovalnews.com/http://www. ... .=1743They keep people/cost cutting who would be foolish enough to buy from them.

Jesda

Q45tech wrote:They keep people/cost cutting who would be foolish enough to buy from them.
I keep asking Nissan owners the same thing!

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”