Rebuild V8 for Les Power, economy, re-sleeve to smaller liter engine

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
myblueheavenn
Car: 2012 Nissan Titan SV

While everyone else wants more power I would like less. Can the Titan V8 be re-sleeved for a smaller displacement. And of course this means smaller pistons. Then cams reground for for the changes needed for such a build. And of course the fuel injectors would be changed for less flow. Lastly the computer engine map would have to be re-programmed to run correctly in the new detuned version of the engine. I'm looking for around 265 to 275 HP and the torque would be what it end's up being. Please don't enlighten me with answers like "Dude, why would you want to do that?" Or " it can't be done unless you got a fortune to spend". etc etc. This question is really for gear heads that know how the Titan engine is built (like replaceable wet sleeves or dry? (replacement pistons would have to be made or available pistons for another make can be machined to work). The Nissan V8 is a great proven engine but they don't make a V6 option for the Titan. And putting a V6 in place would also required many many mods. Maybe more trouble than rebuilding the V8 into a smaller displacement motor.(if smaller sleeves are available). And if no off the shelf sleeves can be found there would be no point in doing this due to the cost of making custom sleeves. Same for smaller pistons. Custom pistons are made all the time with many manufactures doing it, but their cost is high. V8's over a V6 will always have more torque even if the displacement's were the same so always a better option (V8 or V6. But unlike Chevy or Ford, where they have smaller displacement V8 options for their trucks, Nissan doesn't. Any engine builders anyone knows of that builds Nissan V8 I could talk too?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't think they're even sleeveable, but even if they are, I've certainly never heard of anyone making underbores. You can probably use NV1500 hardware to convert to a VQ40, they use both engines. Or there's always an LS swap.

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

Just an arm chair thought. Might be able to lower the power by degree the engine timing. You would have to figure out the clearance between the head and pistons. Could also ?? end up changing the camshaft to one with a different grind or changing the thickness of the head gasket? Another thought would be to change the differential gear ratio ?.

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”