Rebuild info

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
240hatchsx
Car: 93 s13 hatch

Hey fellow kade buddies

I am in the processing getting ready to rebuild my spare 93 engine I picked up from a friend. I was looking to possibly go turbo in the future but at this moment it's my DD and just trying to get some feedback on what I planning on using in my build. So here's my list

Supertech 9.5:1 pistons ( not sure of 20 over bore or not)
Eagle rods
Balance crankshaft
Supertech valves and dual springs
JWT cams
Nismo FPR
Maybe xeccesive intake manifold

I am already running CAI w K&N filter, z32 fuel filter, 4-2-1 header combo, and running catless and open 3ins exhaust

Thanks for the info

Jabberwocky
Car: 08 Subaru WRX

Looks like youre on the right track man. Keep reading up on here and come up with a complete list for everything you want to do with the car, thats pretty much what Im doing and its helped me stay on track with the build and I've learned a lot researching everything over the last couple years. After planning, researching and saving for a while its f*** sweet when its finally all coming to fruition.

Good choice on the lowish compression 9.5:1 pistons, you wanna keep that low if you plan on boost. Have you thought about how much power you wanna make/what size turbo you would like?

I underestimated the cost of all the machine work, be ready for that one. This machine shop charged a set price for everything then tacked on an extra $85 an hour labor charge.

Promise Land
Car: 2011 Nissan Versa
2001 Chevy Suburban
1992 Ford Mustang

what was the tally for you machine work + labor?

Jabberwocky
Car: 08 Subaru WRX

$450. He hot tanked it, checked it for cracks, valve job for +.5mm valves, and put it all together with BC stg 3 cams, dual springs and retainers.

240hatchsx

So after 2/3 of a year of saving, wasting and trading I am finally ready to start my engine build just need to know a few more things that I am not really sure of yet. So i am reaching out for that extra little help towards this big goal.

So I started out wanting these products
Supertech 9.5:1 pistons ( not sure of 20 over bore or not)
Eagle rods
Balance crankshaft
Supertech valves and dual springs
JWT cams
Nismo FPR
Maybe xeccesive intake manifold

I've ending up with these instead
Wisco 9.1 40 over bore pistons
Bc 264 cams
Bc dual springs
White bunny clutch setup
Aem wideband
One piece driveshaft
Walbro fuel pump

Things I'm still unsure about if I need a metal head gasket or not I will be ordering a fel pro full gasket set. I still don't know if I need to up upgrade my injectors or not I know the stock is 270cc I will be getting new ones from deatschwerks I just don't know it I should stick with 270cc and get a FPR or goto 370cc with no FPR.
If I am missing anything plz let me know and I'll keep you updated as soon get the engine out and ready for the machine shop

Patrick

number18
Car: Working on KA24de engine to drop in once I find a car

Hey, I have just been trying to piggy back on some of your knowledge and what I have been searching through on the forums but can't quite find the info that I am looking for. I noticed you were thinking of staying N/A for now which is why I think you could be of some help. I also have a (91-94) KA24de engine that I would like to build up for some drifting. I know would like to keep it N/A but I am not entirely sure where to start with it. I am not looking to be getting 200hp or anything but something over stock would be nice. (I am already doing Exhaust/Headers, Throttle Body, ECU, Intake)
Which engine parts should I just leave stock and which are worth upgrading? (spending big bucks on, & which parts could benefit a little upgrade? I don't want to spend too much money as this is more or less a more advanced learning project for me.
Thanks in advance!

SiDwAyZ240
Car: 95' SR Slayer, '02 LT Tahoe, '03 Chev Express is the DD

Patrick- You are definetly going to need larger injectors. Min. of 370cc. The size depends on the size of turbo and the amount of boost. For the mean time just re-use your stock ones until you put the turbo on. If your going to buy new injectors from Deatschwerks than you might want to go a little bigger than the 370's to give you some growing room and price difference is minimal. What's cool about 370's is they are readily available used from an SR.

18- Not much you can do with a NA ka to build more power. Cold air intake might get you a few HP's. Next would be a cam swap. Other than that you have to break the motor down and put high compression pistons in with oversized valves and big cam. Until you pull the motor apart or ad a turbo your pretty much left with the 165 HP stock KA. Not much you can do. Money would be more well spent on putting together a turbo kit with some injectors and tuning.

number18
Car: Working on KA24de engine to drop in once I find a car

Thanks a bunch SiD___ I will definitly order a set of quality cams then and see what she will do for drifting!

D-UNIT
Car: a 91' S13 (15.014 @ 94.56mph NA) KA-T

Wow super late to the party but I just wanted to say $ 450 is an fn' deal on machine work!! I paid $ 450 for my head alone , the block was $850 lol. If you want NA power! Buy a turbo rom tune for atleast 550cc injectors and a Z32 maf (bigger maf hole = more power!) And if na don't work out your ready for turbo! Trust me I was clowning on KA-Ts running 5-7psi. Btw I was rocking 740cc injectors NA cracking 31 mpgs!

240hatchsx

D unit your not that late to the game lol. And your right about machine work got a quote from a very good shop by me and for them to hot tank, mill the block and head level, port and polish the head, bore 40 over the block, check the crack, new engine bearings/timing chain and install 0.5mm valves, dual springs retainers an guides plus the cams I'm looking at 1500 +/- so I feel ur pain bro

Sidewayz - I haven't figured out which injectors I want to buy but you said the SR injectors hook right up with no modding needed to install them. Also I want to break the engine in first then install a turbo down the road when I know she running top notch.

D-UNIT

Oh no! No pain , all pleasure! Knowing that I have a KA that can handle 800hp is priceless!
Haha I got quoted by a arrogant shop down here for $ 990 for port polish and that's with me taking everything apart and putting it back. I said hell no to that and did it myself. Do yourself a favor and have them race balance your rotating assembly. And get the biggest injectors you can afford. I have 740cc ones but they are only good for 460whp. I would get atleast 850cc sards it sounds ridiculous but right now I'm looking at buying a efr8374 so now I gotta buy bigger injectors again!

240hatchsx

Well I didn't ask if that price was for them to take it apart or not. Like I said still ify on the injectors for now got a whole lot of other things to do first

D-UNIT

Should be included. I was trying to save some money. The guy was acting stupid because it was the same price if I took it apart or not! So I ported it myself and took my business elsewhere. To be honest , for all that you're getting $ 1500 is a great price , especially if they are assembling it. My total engine build cost $ 3100 parts and labor without p-n- p or assembly. So save up and do it right. Good luck.

240hatchsx

So I am thinking of turning my build into a ka24DER haha. I just don't know why I want too but that whine is just so nice.

240hatchsx

Quick update on this lame rebuild of mine haha. gots some more parts most from great guys from nico got to thank

So-cal13 for the nice greddy header
Disturbed for the Q45 TB
93slicktoptt for the Z32 maf
Zeause for the 550 des injectors

Also got my hands on a greddy oil filter relocation kit, energy steering rack bushings, circuit sports 3in downpipe with a cat delete(for when I install the supercharger haha) and an aeromotive fuel pump.

So once I get back from snowy Michigan to sunny Florida and move the other half of the old shop to the new shop along with the 240 I can finally start pulling apart to get it ready for the machine shop

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”