Rear window motor exploded

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Yeah...This morning I was cruising up to the upper parking lot for my next class, I rolled down all my windows and just as the back windows got about halfway down there was a tremendous loud cracking sound followed by several repetitions of rather unpleasant clanking from inside the rear driver's side door. I assume this means that my window mechanism has somehow snapped or shattered. With class starting in ten minutes, I made a desperate attempt to force the window up. I got it to within about four or five inches, then it became jammed or something. It wont go up or down, and the motor doesnt even make a sound when I use the switch. As I have been rather busy today, I have not had more than a few minutes at a time to check out the insides of the door. In the time I have spent attempting to fix this, though, I have found that the inner sheet metal of the door must be removed, and not just the plastic/uphosltry panel. But it looks like the sheet metal is tack welded to the door. Is it possible to pull this away so that I can see more than about 5 square inches of the door's insides, or am I stuck paying someone to do it for me? By the way its a 1993 GXE.

How's this for luck? This car has been in my family since it rolled of the lot brand new in 1993, and it has not had any problems until a week ago when my father (the original owner) gave to me (after buying and '04). Since then the alternator has died and now this. Grrr.

NISTECH

the window regulator broke. You do not need to remove the sheet metal. once you remove the trim panel then the couple of hardware pieces then the plastic sheet covering it you can remove the motor and window regulator as a single unit. but first you need to remove the 2 bolts holding the glass to the window regulator. but you will need to lower the window to do this or reach in there with a 10mm wrench and undo the bolts by hand wrenching them. slide the window to the upper most position and somehow block it so it stays up there. then remove the 4 bolts holding the regulator to the door panel, unplug the window motor plug, then the 3 bolts holding the motor portion of the regulator to the door panel. All the bolts are coming from the trim panel side of the door. once those seven bolts are remove you can manuver the whole assembly through the whole at the rear of the panel. reassembly is in reverse.

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”