Rear wheel removal on 521

1965-1971 Datsun 521 forums. All 520 and 521 topics and discussion can be found here.
frankazin
Car: 1971 Datsun 521

I just bought a 1971 Datsun 521 because my wife had one in college. We plan to slowly rebuild it. It runs very well, has a few rust spots (although the bed is tight and rust free?) and a pretty gutted interior. But it has some real potential. I almost forgot to mention that two owners back exchanged the 1600 engine for an 1800. My first problem is probably a dumb one but I am new to this; a wheel stud is broken off on the right rear. How do I get the wheel off? I have never encountered one quite like this. The tire and wheel are off and the hub is a mystery. It has two raised "slots" spaced about a half inch apart that look like they should be turned (counter-clockwise?) to reach the center, but they won't budge. Is it just stuck or am I doing the wrong thing entirely. Can anyone help?

By the way, I just found the site and just registered. My wife and I just moved into a rural community East of Albuquerque after spending the last 25 years in the Midwest. We are now retired and close to where we started out.

Frankazin

Jefe De Jefes

tire and wheel off?Remove brake drum , pound out the broken stud and replace with a good one.

Brake drum not coming off? There is an adjuster on the backside towards the bottom. Turn that so the brake shoes retract from the drum then pull it off. You might have to tap the drum with a hammer if it's still stuck.

frankazin

Jefe De Jefes,Thanks for the response. You (and I) won't bel;ieve that I have never taken off a rear hub or did a barake job myself. As a kid, we built several; hotrods, but one of my buddies was always the "brake expert" and I now have started rebuilding UTV's and golf carts. I found the area that yopu mentioned but mine has kind of a "slide" that is flat on that area. It will kind of move back and forth a bit by prying or pushing with a screwdriver. Is this the shoe release or is it inside the small square hole right next to that "slide". Thanks again for your help.

Frankazin.

Jefe De Jefes

it's inside bud. If you look closely you'll see teeth in there. I use a bent flat tip screw driver when I adjust mine. If your looking at the hole straight on from the backside, turning it up will retract the shoes if I remember correctly. Hope this helps.

frankazin

Thank you Sir. That answers my question. Please excuse my typos in the last message. I thought I used spell-check, but I think I skipped it. Thanks again.......

Frankazin

Jefe De Jefes

No prob. Let us know how it goes. They can be a pain to get off sometimes.

Return to “Datsun 520 / 521”